Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch! Hurt for the first time w/ 10 month old!

Default Ouch! Hurt for the first time w/ 10 month old!

Hi all,
    I've been pretty lucky so far w/ breastfeeding. I only felt a little bit of discomfort initially. Well now my LO is 10 months and has 2 bottom teeth! The other day, we had a bad latch. I should have relatched her but I didn't think it would cause any problems. Unfortunately, feeding her on that side has been very painful ever since then! It felt like she was biting me --no teeth marks. I am able to pump at work --no discomfort while pumping.

I am assuming others have experienced this problem. What do you do? How long did the pain last?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Ouch! Hurt for the first time w/ 10 month old!

It sounds like her teeth are scraping you. With new teeth she is going to need to learn to latch differently. You can try different positions to relieve the pressure in that spot while you're nursing. Shift her left or right, tilt her head back or forward, turn her body towards or away from you, just keep trying different things until you find a position that is comfortable. And try to get her to open her mouth really wide before latching on.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Ugh, I had this happen when my son's first teeth came in. He wasn't latching funky on purpose, he just scraped his teeth over my nipple and somehow they were bumping while he nursed. It took a few tries but he's more aware of them now and has adjusted his latch accordingly. I think that he realized that something was wrong and I tried to be firm but gentle in telling him that he had to open wider, watch his teeth, don't hurt Mommy, etc. Communication for us was key; my son really listens (as much as a 7 month old can or will ) when I try to direct him when it comes to nursing. We shared a few tears but he learned pretty quick. For that whole week when the teeth came in, nursing was more painful than it's been since the twins were little and we were all still getting used to breastfeeding.
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

Not sure if this is because of the teeth but today I have a little milk blister. :-(