Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4mo nurses only when sleepy/still asleep

Default 4mo nurses only when sleepy/still asleep

The title says it all. I am at my wits end because his preference means he goes long stretches during the day - particularly the morning when I do activities with my preschooler and then wants to eat every 2-3 hours at night. He sometimes even cluster feeds in the early morning so he can make his 5 hour stretch while we are out and about. He also won't nurse at home when awake and obviously hungry, even in a quiet room in our nighttime position. If he is awake he won't take the breast regardless of the environment.

This is not what I imagined nursing would be like, I pumped for 12 months with my first son and was looking forward to this experience.

My pedi said make him hungry and he will eat, so I did 3 nights enforcing a 5 hour stretch and it was a disaster. I hate making him cry for food but maybe I didn't wait long enough. Or will he outgrow this? I just wish he liked my breast!

Anyone had this problem or have any suggestions????

Default Re: 4mo nurses only when sleepy/still asleep

I don't have a ton of advice unfortunately, just to say that the same thing happened to me at the same age. It was right around when she started getting more easily distracted. She always nursed well at night, but daytime became a fight. We did have a few strikes also around this time.

It passed with time, I just kept on persisting to feed her at times I thought she would be hungry (say every 2 or 3 hours during the day), in the dark room, also I rotated rooms and positions more often to see if one would work better. Or take a short break/distraction, and then try again. I also tried singing/humming, nursing necklaces, all manner of distractions to keep her latched on. If she refused, well at least I tried. I think the more relaxed and nonchalant you are too the better. Don't make a big fuss to get down to nurse, just be a sneaky ninja about it. Cuddling a bit, interested? No biggie if you're not..etc. Wanted to send a

eta: also i would not listen to pedi again regarding making baby wait, or at this point about anything related to nursing, that suggestion made me go hmmm.... i would just do on demand and also offer at times that are convenient for you rather than refusing LO
    Last edited by @llli*oakdryad5; April 13th, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Good luck mama. I also agree that maybe your pedi is not current with his breastfeeding education. Waiting longer between feedings will decrease your milk supply. LLLI has great resource pages with more recent studies from people who study only breastfeeding.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Post Re: 4mo nurses only when sleepy/still asleep

Definitely DO NOT make him wait! As you found it only makes the situation worse. We've had the same issue with our DD (6 months) and everyone said "she'll eat when she's hungry". (even DH) Not true.

That said, it could be that your LO is more distractible. But have you thought about a possible medical reason for your LO not wanting to nurse while awake? The reason our DD does this (and has since she was about 2 months old) is she has reflux. I'm not saying your baby has reflux, but you may want to investigate? I've found that eliminating dairy and soy has helped her be more comfortable and she eats for short bursts of time during the day. She's also on Zantac and probiotics, but I think the diet is helping more than anything.

In the meantime, if you're investigating a reason other than distractibility, but he still won't nurse, I agree with the pp about those measures to encourage him to eat. I've found that walking around while nursing and bathing together can sometimes get her to eat a little bit.

Also, are you co-sleeping? If the daytime refusal continues, he may not gain as much weight, and bringing him into the bed could help get him more calories he needs. Co-sleeping is the main reason our DD has not lost weight from this reflux thing.
    Stephanie
    Proud mama to Aya born at home Oct. 2010
    and managing dietary sensitivities, OS/OALD and our lipase issues seem to have magically corrected themselves
    and at work full time
    and so always

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    ...just be a sneaky ninja about it...
    We totally need a sneaky breastfeeding ninja smilie.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    We totally need a sneaky breastfeeding ninja smilie.
    yes!! good for putting any LO down to sleep too..sneaky ninja slowly unwraps tiny hand from oustretched finger, tiptoes out, closes door imperceptibly...<insert smilie here>
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I like the sneaky ninja imagery, it puts a positive spin on my attempts to get him to eat while awake. I am really glad to know others have dealt with this, my other mom friends say things like "oh, mine couldn't get enough of my boob" which just makes me feel bad! I will change my attitude a bit to stay positive and know that he will outgrow it, and just keep being sneaky til then.

Not just sneaky. Ninja sneaky.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos