Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still taking forever to eat and never satisfied

Default Still taking forever to eat and never satisfied

I've posted about this before but it's still happening. My12 week old son just never seems to be "done". Sometimes he'll fall asleep at the breast and look satisfied only to wake up rooting or biting on his hands a few minutes later. I think I have a strong letdown at certain times of day, and other times of day it's slow and he gets frustrated. His latch is shallow which I believe is due to the strong letdown. He pulls back to slow it down. I've been trying to improve the latch but it doesn't seem to help. It's stronger on the left. I'm weaning off Go-Lacta but I'm worried about stopping completely. I have plenty of milk but I worry the baby will have trouble getting it with the poor latch. I'm down to one pill every other day and just have a few more left. Weight gain and diaper output have been fine.
    I'm really struggling to take care of 2 kids with the baby never being done eating. I promise my oldest that we'll go outside (eat lunch, take a bath, etc) when the baby is done eating and it's2hours later before he's done.

Do i just keep doing the same thing or is there something I can do? I'm pretty frustrated.

Default Re: Still taking forever to eat and never satisfied

Agree with PP, get a good sling or wrap...and nurse baby while wearing him and that will give you 2 free hands and the freedon to get up and go out with the big kids!

You can get a Moby or ring sling, Mai Tai, ergo, etc...you usually cant find these in stores, maybe specialty stores, but mostly online!

You wont knw how you made it so long without one!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Totally agree with PP's, my sling and baby carrier were two of the most important baby purchases we ever made--for our firstborn. I'm expecting #2 and know they'll continue to be invaluable. I still use the carrier to put LO on my back, at 6 mos pg!

Slings are often better for younger babies since they adjust to size better. I got a carrier as LO got older to encourage DH to wear her more often, and to make life easy putting her on in the house. Before my bump got too big I could bf walking down the street with LO in a carrier--in total discretion. Highly, highly recommended.
    A no-sew sling:
    http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/no_sew.html
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

I've been trying so hard to nurse him in my carrirers but I just can't get it. I have a Moby, Maya and ergo. What kind of carrier is easiest to nurse in? I always have to support his head with my hand and neither of us are comfy.

Just wanted to say that I successfully nursed him in the Moby yesterday while we were out for dinner!
    Also, since yesterday he has not been nursing nearly as frequently. Of course, this makes me nervous too. Guess I'm just a worry wart for life!

Big Brother born 2/2009
    Little Brother born 1/2011

Yup, we're fluctuating. He's started spitting up during many feedings over the last week or so. Is this a hint that he's over full and I should stop feeding him? I'll go to burp him and he'll do a few huge belches, then spit up all over me. Is this an OALD symptom? So currently feedings last anywhere from 15 minute to about 2 hours. My questions never end!

Big Brother born 2/2009
    Little Brother born 1/2011