Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Discouraged!!!

Default Discouraged!!!

So I have been pumping since my son was born (hes 6 months and 5 days old) I did BF him for 2 1/2 months, then he REFUSED to latch and I hated the ''rejected'' feeling and gave up... I know shame on me, I shouldve kept going with it and I realize now I wish I wouldve tried harder because pumping is such a task!! Ontop of the task, 4 months ago my deep freezer broke and I lost 900 oz of frozen BM! I just about died but I kept going! And Im happy that I have reached 6 months! But, I have been cutting back from pumping because I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 month old that require SOOOO much attention I dont find the time to pump 5x a day how I used to. So now Im pumping morning and at night right before bed. I get about 11-13oz each time I pump which I know is still a good output, but I tried to give him milk from my frozen stash today and he hated it. It doesnt smell metalish or soapy, it smells a little acidic and tastes a little acidic but it isnt bad. Does this make sense? Has anyone had this problem? Is it just a matter of him getting used to the taste of frozen BM versus freshly pumped? He cried when I first gave him the milk pushed the bottle out of his mouth and did it a few times but ended up drinking it. Should I stop giving him fresh milk and just start giving him my oldest frozen milk so that he gets used to the flavor??? HELP! I cant bare to think all this hard work and him not want it... How will I keep up with pumping? I was already beginning the cutting back process, I did 5x, then about 2 months ago did 4x then 1 month ago I went down to 3x a day then I dropped to 2x because my mid-day pump I would get only like 5-8 oz (which for me is a little bit) and the 30 mins sitting there for that when I have a toddler and infant that need me is so time consuming and hard to keep up with when you have to stop a million times while pumping to attend them. So my pumping before they wake and pumping when they are asleep has been working out fine. Im just worried my milk supply will begin to decrease soon (I have been doing 2x a week for almost 2 weeks now)

Sorry, I know super long bla bla bla thread
    Last edited by @llli*manteconj; April 12th, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    Angel Gabriel 8/14/08 (didn't BF I was confused and thought I didn't have milk)
    Damian Gabriel 10/7/10 (BF and I now know I have an OVERSUPPLY, better more than none, I wish I would've known what I know now with my first)
    and

Default Re: Discouraged!!!

Do you think it tastes a little like vomit when you say acidic? It could be a lipase issue. My milk doesn't taste soapy or metallic. It tastes and smells just like breastmilk vomit. Which makes sense because it's partially digested... and it's acidic, I would say.

I'm a little confused. Are you pumping 22 to 26 ounces a day? So that should be about what he needs, right? Could you just mix in a little bit of the frozen milk to make up the gap?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Ehhhh, pukeish might be.... I tasted it and it just has a little acidy after taste. Obviously nothing like fresh milk. Yes, each pumping session I get 11-13 (SOMEtimes 14)oz. Im just worried since I cut back pumping sessions 2 weeks ago, if this will keep up or if it will start to decrease??
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    Damian Gabriel 10/7/10 (BF and I now know I have an OVERSUPPLY, better more than none, I wish I would've known what I know now with my first)
    and

Is he sleeping through the night? Whether he is or not, if you start to see a decrease, you could try adding a session in the middle of the night. I know that would really suck, but you would get the most bang for your buck - it would most likely stimulate your daytime supply, you would get more out and it would be at a time when you're not running around after your toddler and your baby.

I really don't know how you EP moms do it. I've got a 2.5 year old and a 3 month old and I can't imagine needing to pump several times a day on top of that, and feed bottles. It sounds like a lot of work. You're doing a great job mama.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Thanks! Many times I have no clue how Ive done it either! He sleeps through the night and I have NEVER pumped at night not even at the beginning! I would wake up drenched in milk but I never pumped because I wanted my ladies to get used to not being used at night (he started sttn at 6 weeks)
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    and

You know, if you're worried about having a ton of milk that you can't use, you can give some to your older child. I have been doing that with Lilah if there's any left in the bottles from Trixie. I pump while I'm at work. The funny thing is that she tells me she doesn't like that milk although she only stopped nursing two months before her sister was born. So I mix it into her cow's milk or put some chocolate syrup in it, depending on how much of my milk I need to "hide."

You can also mix it into your younger son's food, if he's eating solids.
    Tracie

Mommy to