Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: basic how to start pumping

Default basic how to start pumping

These may seem like stupid questions, but..

I am starting to pump this week, going back to work in 2 months and would like to introduce bottle in the next few weeks for dad to feed.

Questions -

I know that I am supposed to start pumping in the morning after a feed.
    Do I pump both breasts? For how long? I pumped half an ounce in 5 minutes from my emptiest breast this morning.

My little guy sometimes takes from both, sometimes doesn't, and since I recently started having him go on both, he feeds better and more on the right, and so it is bigger than the left.

So should I only pump the one that he took from in the morning?

If he takes both, should I pump both?

I am going to give him the half ounce tonight and see if he takes it. At some point I need to start getting more out, just not sure about the mechanics and scheduling of such an endeavor. My baby feeds sometimes hourly sometimes every 3-4 hours and I don't want to be in a situation where he is hungry and I have no milk?

Experienced mothers, please let me know what the best strategy is?

Thanks!

Default Re: basic how to start pumping

How old is he?

I would either pump at the same time he's nursing, but on the other side, once a day, OR I would pump right after his first feed of the morning, but both sides. And do it every day at the same time if you can manage it. That should help get bottles for practice and build up a freezer stash for when you go back to work.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

So it may take a day or two of adapting but you can pretty much pump whenever you feel like it, from where ever you feel like. Empty breasts produce milk faster then full breasts so as long as you feed your LO first you can pump one or both sides once a day or all day. I pump three or four times a day, usually at meals (my LO eats now so I take the oppertunity to pump for a milk bank.)

http://www.llli.org/faq/milkstorage.html This will help with what to do once you got the milk.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

You have gotten some excellent advice from PP's. I will add that for me, I always pump both breasts at the same time unless there is a good reason not to - like while baby is nursing or while driving (I'm not compatible w/ hands-free pumping).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mafiaqueen View Post
    At some point I need to start getting more out, just not sure about the mechanics and scheduling of such an endeavor. My baby feeds sometimes hourly sometimes every 3-4 hours and I don't want to be in a situation where he is hungry and I have no milk?
    Don't worry about scheduling pumping times before you go back to work. Just build up a LITTLE stash beforehand (like maybe a week's worth of daytime feedings). Once you are going back to work, you will be pumping to replace feedings, and so you will be getting bigger amounts.

Does your baby tend to take one reliably long nap? Mine does in the morning, usually for 1-2 hours. That was when I usually pumped while at home. One time she surprised me and woke up early, not long after I had finished pumping; I just fed her on both sides that time (usually I only feed her on one side d/t oversupply). She was mad at first b/c of the slower flow than she was used to, but I just kept switching back and forth until she was satisfied.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I like pumping about one hour after feeding because i can usually get about 1.5 oz. I have a touch of undersupply, so i never can pump more than 15cc immediately after feeding. I've heard you replenish your supply after 30mins... so by the time my little one is ready to feed again...two hours from his initial feed, i'm ready.

I HATE that I can give advise on pumping But anyways... when my lo was 4wks i was pumping EVERY other hour 24hrs a day to build supply AND BFing (lo wasnt removing milk) he is 9wks now and at about the 6wk mark he was getting better at BFing so i pumped after EVERY feeding now im TRYING to get in atleast 6 a day (still worried bout supply & weight gain) Now he wants to BF after the bottle (rite about the time i finish pumping) And we do! its mostly for comfort. I just remind myself its helping my supply. BUT i have noticed the better he gets at BF the better my supply has ben. The link on weaning from f.supps was a BIG help too G/L
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST