Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Calendula for nipple cream?

Default Calendula for nipple cream?

Has anyone tried using calendula cream for nipple cream? Is this safe/effective/nice? I use a nipple butter that has calendula in it and I like it because it works really well @ preventing thrush but it in and of itself is quite pricey. I can find calendula cream itsself for quite cheap however but it is not specifically for nipples so I am not sure if it is good for use as a nipple ointment...? Anyone know?
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Default Re: Calendula for nipple cream?

I havn't used it for nipples, but I do use it for diaper rash. Works fantastic! I belive it calendula cream is made from maragold flowers and I think those are edible...So don't quote me on that though...I'll goggle it and get back.

yes it is maragolds and edible. You can make teas with the flower. Calendula officinalis is the variety that is medicinal. Apparently it cures everything.
    http://www.planetbotanic.ca/fact_sheets/Calendula.htm
    Last edited by @llli*littleiandjmomma; April 9th, 2011 at 09:28 AM.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Hmm...! If it's safe/effective for nappy rashes it sounds like it would probably do just as well on nipples I would imagine?

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997

Calendula is the main ingredient in a number of the natural nipple ointments I have seen. I have never used it as a nipple ointment, however we do use it as a bum cream as previously mentioned - it nicely cleared up nasty rawness from a reaction to wipes in the early days, and we have not seen a diaper rash while using it.

I guess it would depend on what else is in the cream (i.e. as the base). The calendula itself is not an issue.

I don't have a first hand experience but, MIL says it is safe and effective, she used it hehe.
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

I have been using this as nursing cream (and hand cream, and undereye cream...) for the past couple of days now. It's really nice! I love the texture and the ingredients are all natural. I wouldn't apply before soon before nursing though as I can't imagine it would taste very good, but post feed!