Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going insane - 6.5 wk old wants to nurse all the time

Default Going insane - 6.5 wk old wants to nurse all the time

Someone please tell me when it gets better! My LO loves being at the breast and gets super fussy when I try to end feeds - even after 90 minutes. I know he can do a full feed in 30 minutes because his night feeds last that long and he only wakes 2x a night. He is a big baby (almost 13 lbs and 2 ft long) so I feel like he should be able to go at least 2.5 hours between feeds, but he gets so fussy that giving him the breast is the only way to calm him most of the time. Oh, and he hates the paci! LO will only rarely accept it and I can sometimes use it to trick him when I nurse him to sleep at night but thats about it.

Default Re: Going insane - 6.5 wk old wants to nurse all the time

Hang in there. It will get easier mama. My first daughter nursed every 90 minutes around the clock. And sometimes she would nurse almost the entire 90 minutes. It's completely normal. Their job is to triple their birth weight in a year... and believe it or not, he knows when he's hungry and how much he needs. I promise you that he's not overeating. Neither of my babies have been willing to take a pacifier either, so I understand you there.

What I did was just camp out on the couch for the first 8 weeks or so. It will get better.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

It's completely normal for your lo to be nursing all the time, infants that young have a very high need to suck. and it's actually early to introduce a paci, so your breast is the way to fulfill that need.

So babies don't always only nurse out of hunger. It's comfort, sucking and hunger. At that young age, you really don't want to try and limit the time nursing... just try and enjoy this time because it goes by sooooo quickly. Soon you'll be wondering why you wished this time away.

And bigger babies often need to eat MORE often because they need more calories to sustain them, so that's normal too! Nothign about what your baby is doing right now is abnormal. 90 minutes is on the longer side, but if you can manage i'd just roll with it.

If he's gaining weight properly and has plenty of wet and poopy diapers, you're on the right track.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Do you have a sling or other baby carrier you could nurse him in? That way you would have both hands to do other things if needed.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

MY DD1 nursed every hour and a half for the first 6 months.

So far, you're doing way better than me.

It WILL get easier. We can't say when. You will learn to nap when you can (if you don't already) or you will just adjust and eventually things will ease up. 6 weeks is sooooo young.

Remember, Mama, women have been doing this for a looooooong time. I believe that you have in you what the rest of do to succeed.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

My 4 week old son wants to be latched on the breast all day as well and at times all you feel like is a human pacifier .... so you cant get anything else done around the house or break away to have second for yourself but just hang in there ..this is my second breastfed baby and the older they get it does change. It sounds crazy but enjoy this time, it does go by fast ...you'll actually miss these days down the road. Like one of the other responders to your post said, she just camped out on the couch and nursed her baby for weeks....I'm in the same boat right now and I just take it each day knowing im giving my baby what he needs , its whats best for him so if he wants to be on the breast for 90 mins ...just go with it :} Your nuturing your baby, giving your baby the head start to being a wonderful secure nutured human being ! best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*boymama82 View Post
    My 4 week old son wants to be latched on the breast all day as well and at times all you feel like is a human pacifier .... so you cant get anything else done around the house or break away to have second for yourself but just hang in there ..this is my second breastfed baby and the older they get it does change. It sounds crazy but enjoy this time, it does go by fast ...you'll actually miss these days down the road. Like one of the other responders to your post said, she just camped out on the couch and nursed her baby for weeks....I'm in the same boat right now and I just take it each day knowing im giving my baby what he needs , its whats best for him so if he wants to be on the breast for 90 mins ...just go with it :} Your nuturing your baby, giving your baby the head start to being a wonderful secure nutured human being ! best wishes
    But of course you're not a human pacifier--soothers are substitutes for humans
    Yes, you will miss these days! My DD wanted to bf several times an hour at that age, and still did 2x/hr at 9 months. Yes, that's right, you're nurturing a secure little person

This also opened my eyes:
    http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...on-part-1.html
    Katharine in Belgium
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    DD2 Feb 2015 - natural birth VBAC with DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?