Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supplementing while sick...

Default Supplementing while sick...

I went to the doctor yesterday and was told that I possibly have strep throat and was put on amoxicillin. My daughter, 7 months today, just finished a round of amoxicillin for an ear infection. I wanted to know if it would be beneficial for me to give her formula for a few days so she's not getting a double dose of antibiotics..also so I pass less germs to her. She's always been willing to go from bottle to breast pretty easily, so I'm not worried about that. I had to give her formula at 2 days old to save my sanity and she went right back to the boob.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tara

Default Re: Supplementing while sick...

I wouldn't do that. You're not going to be protecting her from any germs and she gets the benefit of the natural immunity that you are passing to her through your milk.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I agree with Tracie.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I wouldn't do that. You're not going to be protecting her from any germs and she gets the benefit of the natural immunity that you are passing to her through your milk.
    I totally agree. Just keep nursing her, no need to give her any formula.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Me too but my question for you is why take them if you possibly have an infection? Did they do a culture? I just hate risking yeast infections unless I'm positive I need the antibiotics. Feel better soon and remember that you're passing those antibodies onto your LO and that's a good thing
    Katie (5/06) weaned around 38 months
    Mary (1/09) weaned at 23 months
    Jack (1/1/11) nurses like a champ!

with the PPs. Unless you plan on not handling your baby at all for a week or so, there's no way she's going to avoid being exposed to your germs. Give her the benefit of your immunity and keep on nursing!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*swkrmom View Post
    Me too but my question for you is why take them if you possibly have an infection? Did they do a culture? I just hate risking yeast infections unless I'm positive I need the antibiotics. Feel better soon and remember that you're passing those antibodies onto your LO and that's a good thing
    I don't have insurance and didn't want to pay for the culture - I do understand what you are saying though. Nowadays they go by physical signs for strep and I had 3 out of the 4 so better safe than sorry! Luckily, I haven't gotten a yeast infection!

Suggest that BOTH you and baby take probiotics!

For baby - can mix the powder in a little EBM or applesauce.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)