Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ok, what exactly am I watching for here...?

Default Ok, what exactly am I watching for here...?

I have an (ALMOST) 6-month-old. And I'm adament about waiting until at least 6 months to *try* solids. (I understand it may take longer since each baby's development is different.) I've been told by my mom and sisters that he will let me know when he's ready by doing things like grabbing at my spoon when I bring it to my mouth. But he's always been Mr. Grabby Hands since he started developing this skill around 3 months. So I don't think it has much to do with wanting to eat as it does he just wants what's in my hand. (He does the same with my cell phone. Does that mean he's ready to make a phone call? Haha!)
    So what are the signs? Not just the grabbing, but the other signs? Is he letting me know and I'm just not reading him properly?
    I've given him tastes of things. Two days ago I gave him a little mushed up banana. He was totally uninterested. Just mushed it around in his mouth and didn't even swallow. But then yesterday I was eating a Little Debbie snack (I know, BAD mama! But my blood sugar was dropping and it was all that was available) and he about jumped out of my arms to try and get it!
    So... what exactly am I looking for here?
    Also, there seems to be some debate as to how I introduce the solids. Should we start with purees or big chunks? Or does it matter?
    LO born October 28, 2010

Default Re: Ok, what exactly am I watching for here...?

July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Wow! You're so lucky to have family that tells you to wait until baby is ready before starting solids. I think most of us here have the opposite experience- moms and MILs who want baby to try rice cereal and ice cream (apple fritters and cheesecake in my experience ) almost as soon as baby opens her eyes. Yes, grabbing for your food or utensils is one thing to look for. Also, baby should be able to sit on his own. He should be around six months. Remember that there is nothing magical that happens at midnight when your LO turns six months. He may be ready a little before, or not until weeks or months later. Teeth are a bonus, but gums are pretty good at smashing things into a mush that's easy to swallow.

I would go ahead and keep offering something maybe once every couple days. He may not be interested in eating it right away, but then one day his eyes will light up like "whoa, where has sweet potato been all my life?" FWIW, banana was the first thing I offered DD. She didn't like it then and she still doesn't like it a month and a half later, though she totally digs most other foods she has had. Rather than giving him mushed banana, try offering a banana stick. Cut a banana in half or thirds, then carefully press the cut end with your fingers. You will watch it break into three "cloves" lengthwise. Magical...

Whether you start with purees or solids that are actually solid is mostly up to you. I do baby led solids with my (almost) 7 month old. It's so fun to watch her aim and grip improve with each passing day. At first she couldn't hold a chunk of banana without it smashing in her hand. Now she dutifully pincer grips whatever is on her tray and brings it carefully to her mouth. I think it's been such a great chance for her to improve her skills and decide what and how much to eat. She has not choked, but has gagged and coughed a little bit (which was DH's fear.) It is so relaxed at dinner time. I did try to feed her some carrot puree that MIL just happened to have sitting around. DD wouldn't let the spoon anywhere near her mouth because, like you, I have a Miss Grabby Hands and she wanted to feed herself. It was also waaay messier than anything she has been allowed to put into her own mouth. I'm totally sold on baby-led real solids, but maybe someone else will chime in and sell you on purees.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizziesmom View Post
    Wow! You're so lucky to have family that tells you to wait until baby is ready before starting solids.
    MIL is a different story! She's been pushing solids since he was 3 months! I'm sorry to say I caved once and allowed her to give him pureed apples, only to discover later that apples are WAY down on the list of first time foods! Poor baby didn't poop for a whole day! So since then I've been standing my ground about waiting for the signs for him to tell me he's ready. He does sit up on his own, and we just tried pears today, but again, totally uninterested. Guess we'll try again in another few days.

Should I keep trying different things? Like maybe carrots or peas next time? Or should I stick with the same food? People are telling me to only introduce one food at a time.
    LO born October 28, 2010

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You could just stick with the same food or switch it up if you want. Lilah didn't really care about solids until she was almost a year and then only really started eating them around 14 months. And she didn't start having a considerable amount until she was around 18 months old.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Here's a helpful link:

When should my baby start solids?

Whether you want to do purees or baby-led solids is purely up to you.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and