Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other people feeding your child

Default Other people feeding your child

Hi everyone!

Whenever I'm around family members, they all think they can feed my DD (23 mths) off their plate. I don't want her eating chocolate cake, frosting, whipped cream, etc.... When I see it happening I kindly say "no", but that person seems to be irritated at me. It just irks me that people think they can just feed her anything without asking. Or give her a sugary drink from their own cup!

I guess the only thing I can do is continue to say no?

I just don't like the looks I get!

help?

Thanks bunches!
    Nursing my bug for almost 3 years YIKES!

Default Re: Other people feeding your child

if they will not respect your wishes its way ok to limit time with lots of people...

Have you told them ahead of time not to do it?

My father in law would give my nephews drinks of his artificial sweetner-sweetened caffeinated sweet tea all the time when they were little. I made it clear to him when Lilah was 6 months old that she would not be drinking any of that, EVER. I wasn't rude about it, and he understood.

Do you see them all the time, or just occasionally? If it were just occasionally for me, and it was just dessert type things, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you see them all the time, I would mention it before you eat with them again... and just put up with the eyerolls you'll get. I'd rather somebody roll their eyes over it than do something over and over I didn't like.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I don't see them all the time, so maybe that's why they do it. I have a HUGE family reunion coming up and there will be TONS of people. I just don't want her to eat lik that. She eats so well now. Maybe I'm over reacting. I just don't think people should feed her like a zoo animal.

I agree. And you don't want her to get sick.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

take your high chair and after the eating is done go for a walk to avoid the cake.. That worked sometimes with my mother and law.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenny287 View Post
    I don't see them all the time, so maybe that's why they do it. I have a HUGE family reunion coming up and there will be TONS of people. I just don't want her to eat lik that. She eats so well now. Maybe I'm over reacting. I just don't think people should feed her like a zoo animal.
    That's probably why. When my ILs come, which is about every other year, FIL wants to feed the kids all kinds of garbage. I suggest other things the kids can have, and I also realized it was a one time thing. I won't let him give them his diet soda, but I'm not freaking out over a little bit of cake because it's a treat they don't get all the time. And it keeps him from moving on to the other junk. I also will take things away from the kids if necessary.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Maybe one way to deal with it is to say- loudly- "Oh, don't take Grandpa's cake/soda. Let me get you your own piece/cup." And then look at Grandpa (or whomever) and say "I don't want her learning to take things off other people's plates. It's not good manners for a toddler!" That way it's about you teaching your daughter a lesson, not about you telling the adult how to behave.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What drives me batty is when we go out to eat with the IL's and MIL feeds DD1 multiple treats. I get it. We're out. It's a treat. But choose ONE, and NO SECONDS. Look at your overweight, diabetic, heart problem family woman!!!!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    What drives me batty is when we go out to eat with the IL's and MIL feeds DD1 multiple treats. I get it. We're out. It's a treat. But choose ONE, and NO SECONDS. Look at your overweight, diabetic, heart problem family woman!!!!

I second THAT! Funny thing is, the people feeding her this junk are over weight!!!