Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help me - how do I make it to a year?

Default Please help me - how do I make it to a year?

I am away from my baby for 9 hours a day. I've been mostly breastfeeding for 9 months now. By mostly, I mean our caregiver gives our baby about 4 to 6 ounces of formula during the day. On a good day, I am able to pump approximately 14 ounces of breastmilk. I try to breastfeed if he wakes in the middle of the night. The mornings are a rush so I don't always get to breastfeed him before I leave at 6:45 am. I breastfeed at bedtime. I've noticed that my milk supply is dwindling.

I'm looking for advice on how much to pump during the day and night. I want to breastfeed as much as possible for the first year. I also want to do extended breastfeeding.

Also, for the nine month check-up the weight gain is slowing down. Is it because he is not getting enough milk? I'm getting paranoid and want to pump formula to get fatter.

Default Re: Please help me - how do I make it to a year?

Many mothers notice that their baby's weight gain slows down near the end of the first year. That's because baby is so much more active. As long as baby is still gaining weight, growing, and meeting milestones, it's normal.

Now, about pumping and working...

If you could get up and nurse your baby in the mornings, it would be less he'd get in a bottle when you are separated. Maybe bring baby into bed with you in the early morning, and offer nursing? That way, you can still doze while baby tanks up.

You can try pumping one side while baby nurses on the other, to take advantage of the letdowns.

You could also get up and pump in the middle of the night, to have more milk for the next day.

Other options for increasing your milk supply include nursing more often when you are with baby (weekends), pumping more often, eating oatmeal, herbal galactagogues like fenugreek and blessed thistle, or prescription medications that have a side effect of sometimes increasing a mother's milk supply.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I also highly suggest you call a LLL Leader in your area, and attend meetings. The support of other nursing and working mothers can make all the difference! http://www.lalecheleague.org/webindex.html
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Thank you LLLShannon! I will contact a LLL leader and try to attend meetings. Unfortunately, I think all of the meetings are held when I'm working.

I am grateful for your advice. Thanks again!

Do you EBF on weekends? I have noticed that my supply gradually drops throughout my workweek. I nurse on demand and even try to pump some on weekends whenever I get a chance. It helps build my supply back up and also gives me extra BM to give DS if I come up short during the week.

I also agree with the PP to try and nurse your LO b/f you go to work. I know the morning routine is hectic and you'll probably have to set the alarm a few minutes early. I just consider nursing DS as part of my morning routine.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Are you trying to do too much in the AM? I know I was (nurse, pump, then nurse again in less than two hours!)

Now I just nurse whenever she wakes up, this varies a lot. Then I pump a half hour after I get to work. This also helped with my problem about being to work on time. Oddly enough, it is viewed that I get there on time rather than be late but then take a break to pump right away

Maybe you can tweak your morning routine a bit?

GOOD LUCK!

I will try to change my schedule in the morning. It's just so tough...I've been waking up late and literally rushing into the shower and out the door. I'm exhausted...the thought of more pumping at home feels like having a 100 pound ball tied to my ankle.

I have to get through this...you all inspire me to keep going. Thank you.