Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Burning myself out w/ pumping

Default Re: Burning myself out w/ pumping

I've been doing this for 3 months, so I *know* how hard it is to keep going when you don't even want to look at the pump again.

Did you know that you can leave the whole pump setup out for six hours without cleaning it? Just pump on top of it. Breastmilk is really strong stuff, and everything does *not* need to be cleaned every time- I don't even do it every six hours.

And by all means, try to get him on the breast. Just casually start offering it. Bottlefeed with your shirt off.

Keep your goals short. Tell yourself "ok he's six weeks, if I can make it to two months. . ." I had to do that. I had a complete meltdown over breastfeeding and had to tell myself "ok tuesday he will be 4 months, I NEED to make it to tuesday. . ." and now he is almost 5 month!

You are in a great place with lots of support. Wish I could type more now, but I'm being summoned! lol. Good luck!

I'm EPing for a cleft baby. I HATE it, but it's necessary. I have four kids, the one with a cleft (so he's high mainteinance), a busy household and a job (although I'm not working right now), and I homeschool this bunch of kids.

I think it's pretty common for EP moms to feel a burnout around 6 weeks. It's extremely difficult to EP long term because there's so much more work, you have a lot less time. It's more difficult to maintain supply, the hormonal kick isn't there, and you don't get to snuggle a cute baby while you feed the baby. The pump is so impersonal. I've never felt as much like a cow as I do this time.

I think you need a better pump. Most moms cannot EP well with a professional grade pump like the PISA; from what I understand, most moms who try end up supplementing some (although there are a few who do EP adequately with a PISA). They need a hospital grade pump. I have several pumps of different brands (professional grade all) in addition to a hospital grade, and I consistently do better with the hospital grade pump. I get an ounce or more extra per session per side with the hospital grade than I get when I use my next best pump, so that's at least an extra two feedings a day! The rental is about $3.50 a day, so that's less than the cost of formula for those same feedings.

Treat the thrush. Honestly, that's not a big deal. And you'll need to treat baby too anyway, because if you've been pumping, the yeast is probably in the milk and he's gotten it anyway. And you'll need to disinfect your pump parts for a while to keep from reinfecting everyone again.

Consider putting baby to the breast and then pumping afterwards. Or pump one side and nurse the other at the same time, and then switch sides at the next feeding.

I also don't wash all the time. I put everything in the fridge (if I remember) and then pull it out again later to pump. I do that all day long and just wash AM and PM. I have some extra parts so I can let things dry out before reusing them. I would NOT do that right now if you think you have thrush. If you have thrush, you'll have to be more diligent to keep from reinfecting yourself and your baby.

Have you tried any herbs, oatmeal or medications to help your supply? I find a big bowl of oatmeal every morning just gives me enough oomph to really make some milk. Funny...when I nursed the others, I never noticed, but the pump -- even a good hospital grade pump -- doesn't remove milk as efficiently as a baby, so I just don't have the same supply as I did when I nurse at the breast, and because I can measure the milk, it's more of a cause for a freak out when I break even one day instead of having extra.

I do a lot of babywearing, and that gives me time to spend with baby and lets me get some stuff done around the house and keep up with my other kids. If he would let me tie him to my back, I'd really get stuff done! Your baby will bond even if you don't sit there and play all day. I sure don't sit and play with the baby in between sessions I have things to do!

And can you feed and pump at the same time? I do that a lot. I have a pillow from Leach Co. that has a seatbelt, and I put baby in that and feed him while I pump. I will also put him in a bouncy seat to feed and pump. I found it really difficult to pump and hold and feed at the same time.

Do you have a hands free bra? If not, GET ONE. They sell them at Target or BRU. Or make one -- which might be the cheaper option if you opt to be serious about getting baby back to the breast -- by cutting a small slit in the cup of a sports bra.

I know the hard-core EPing moms say EPing is easier, but they are wrong. Do anything you can to get baby back to the breast.

And if he loses weight You can always start supplementing again.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I think you need a better pump. Most moms cannot EP well with a professional grade pump like the PISA; from what I understand, most moms who try end up supplementing some (although there are a few who do EP adequately with a PISA). They need a hospital grade pump. I have several pumps of different brands (professional grade all) in addition to a hospital grade, and I consistently do better with the hospital grade pump. I get an ounce or more extra per session per side with the hospital grade than I get when I use my next best pump, so that's at least an extra two feedings a day!
    Wow, you really see that much of a difference? I'm definitely going to try a hospital grade pump then. That would definitely be worth it.

And you'll need to treat baby too anyway, because if you've been pumping, the yeast is probably in the milk and he's gotten it anyway.
    Oh, I didn't realize that! Thanks for the info!

Have you tried any herbs, oatmeal or medications to help your supply? I find a big bowl of oatmeal every morning just gives me enough oomph to really make some milk.
    Yes, I have been drinking tea and taking a herbal pill. I didn't know about the oatmeal though, so I will try eating that too. I think I need to cut back on the herbs though, because I am wondering if I have an allergic reaction (and it's not thrush).

Do you have a hands free bra? If not, GET ONE. They sell them at Target or BRU. Or make one -- which might be the cheaper option if you opt to be serious about getting baby back to the breast -- by cutting a small slit in the cup of a sports bra.
    Yes, I do! I don't think I could have made it this far without one!

Thanks so much for the helpful post!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MEK View Post
    Wow, you really see that much of a difference? I'm definitely going to try a hospital grade pump then. That would definitely be worth it.
    Yep. I just pumped in the car on the way from the store to the barn (I also have horses to manage). I got 5 oz with a Freestyle. I should have gotten 8 at that session, which I normally do at home with the Symphony.

If you have thrush and any stored milk, it's probably got it too. Use it up before doing any treatments.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Every time I want to skip a punp session I remind myself that if I do that mite mean more formula for my DS and that is NOT guna happen!
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

Just noticed you are in MD. I could suggest some places to rent one, depending on where you live
    Susan

Just noticed you are in MD. I could suggest some places to rent one, depending on where you live
    I called the hospital where I delivered and they rent them for $35/2 weeks or $60/month. Do you know of a place that rents for a better price? I'm in the Baltimore-ish area. Thanks!

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

I was an EP mom for 14.5 months. The fact that you're here is a great start. The ladies here always have excellent advice.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

No, that's a pretty decent price. There were a couple LCs near Annapolis who had them for $45-50, but I couldn't find them when I looked. Mine is $75, but I'm a lot closer to DC.
    Susan

Sometimes your insurance will cover, especially if he isn't nursing at all and you need it right now. Mine is $20 after the insurance.