Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still producing but now having trouble expresing with my pump

Default Still producing but now having trouble expresing with my pump

Help!
    I've been pumping sice July 2010 with no real problems all this time, then suddenly I can't express my milk with my pump. I know the milk is in there because, it's obvious for one thing, and I can express it manually but I can't take the time to do that at work. I also just don't think it's that easy. Has anyone heard of this happening before? Do you have any suggestions for me? My son is 11 months old and I just wanted to get him past his first 12 months.

I know it's not the pump because I called the manufacturer and they sent a new motor (and parts, in case it was the breastshields or tubing) and I'm getting the same reaction. I went from 11-12 oz a day (3-4 oz per session) to MAYBE 1 oz a session between both breasts. I'm not as desperate as I was when this first started happening but I AM desperate.
    Any advice would be very appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: Still producing but now having trouble expresing with my pump

hmmm...maybe you can rent a hosp grade pump for a day or so, and see if the change in pump will help??
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

It's definitely worth a try I guess. I mean better than the alternative of having to stop. Thank you for the suggestion.

hate to ask but

could you be pg? Lots of mom see a drop like that in milk supply when they are pg...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    hate to ask but

could you be pg? Lots of mom see a drop like that in milk supply when they are pg...
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    hate to ask but

You beat me to it. Happened to me in exactly this way. Pumping supply decreased by 10-12 oz, down to almost nothing over a period of a week or so.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I noticed this before. My breasts obviously had milk but it would not come out. I think stress my have been the problem. I just basically pumped as much as I could one day until my body finally started cooperating. I did breast compresses while pumping. Good luck, you're almost there!
    DS was born June - 2010
    and with lots of help and support from my hubby
    Ready to pump wean!!

Thank you everyone. I am definitely not pregnant (I wish I was but I know I'm not). I recently started getting some results (not much but something is better than nothing). I plan on continuing with the hospital grade pump that I rented for the month. hopefully that will get me back to my usual state, and then some. I am also using warm compresses which seems to help. Anyway, thank you for all of your comments. It' helps knowing there's a support group out there for me to reach out to.

You might try pumping one side while nursing your LO (if that would work for you). If it's stress causing a problem with let down, letting the LO stimulate let dow may help. Wouldn't help while at work, but might help narrow things down on the cause.