Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to pump? and how often?

Question when to pump? and how often?

My son is 14 weeks old now. He is exclusively breastfed. He nurses typically every 3-3.5 hours. I have been pumping since week 1 to have a supply of milk in the freezer for when I want to go out. My husband and I have gotten into a routine with Dusty that he gets a bottle of expressed milk once in the evening (typically his late evening feed, around 9:30 pm). Seems to be working well, he is sleeping well at night in the past week, and he is taking the bottle well. We decided to give him a bottle daily since when I was nursing my daughter if we didn't give a bottle for a few days she would stop taking it all together and we didn't want that to happen this time around.

We've had a few ups and downs in the past 3 months....Dusty and our entire family were sick in february with Influenza A (Dusty was hospitalized for 3 days), and we've had colds on and off. He started off gaining weight very well, and then due to the illnesses he went 1 week with no gain, 1 week with a 2 oz loss, but in the past 3 weeks he's gained 4 oz, 7 oz, then 4 oz again.
    He seems content with nursing and with bottle feeding. In the evening he will drink about 4-6 oz from the bottle.

I was having no trouble pumping in the past, but in the past few days it seems like I'm not getting very much when I pump.....I always pump in the evening when my husband feeds the bottle, and I was getting 4-5 oz (from both breasts combined)....now it seems I'm only getting 1-2 oz. Dusty has started sleeping through the night in the past week but I'm not feeling very full in the morning.

I'm wondering if I can stop pumping in the evening when he gets his bottle and just pump first thing in the morning after I nurse him to make up that one bottle for the evening? Not sure if my supply in the evening is less since I"m no longer waking up 1-2 times a night to nurse him? Or maybe he is drinking more at his feedings and so I have less residual milk?

I would like to continue with the one bottle feeding at night.
    Any thoughts?

Default Re: when to pump? and how often?

I would continue to pump in the evening when your son eats. It's important for your body to "think" your baby is eating every time he eats, whether it's actually from you or from the bottle.

If you don't pump enough one evening for the next evening's bottle, then you can always pump again the following morning and add it.

Don't forget to trouble shoot your pump; check valves/membranes/tubing, etc.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Default Re: when to pump? and how often?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I would continue to pump in the evening when your son eats. It's important for your body to "think" your baby is eating every time he eats, whether it's actually from you or from the bottle.

If you don't pump enough one evening for the next evening's bottle, then you can always pump again the following morning and add it.

Don't forget to trouble shoot your pump; check valves/membranes/tubing, etc.
    pump for the missed feed and if you need extra, in the morning when prolactin levels are generally highest.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language