Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: silly question

Default silly question

I was wondering if its possible to have OALD with a LOW milk supply??

My 9wk DS does all the signs for it; pulls away,scream,chokes/gags. And my milk sprays.

I have ben doing alot to increase my "low supply" since I was told that was the reason for Los poor w.gain & loss (fngrk,mm tea, blsd thstl, water, pumping)

But now Im wondering if there was ever a proplem or have I just fixed it (maybe too good)

Im able to pump atleast 1oz AFTER LO BF sometimes up to 3+oz

This is baby #5, the first 2 were Bf for a short time (due to no support/education about BF) but supply was NOT an issue

#3 & 4 BF for 3.5yrs EACH I BF through out 4th pregnancy & had PLENTY of milk and had more than enough to feed 2 for more than 2yrs

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

Default Re: silly question

Maybe it's possible to have OALD and low supply - OALD is commonly associated with oversupply, but it can happen in moms who have just regular supply too!

But it may be a moot point - based on your other thread, where you said that you were weaned off supps and your LO gained like 15 oz in 5 days (correct me if I'm wrong), I'd say you do NOT have low supply anymore! And if your baby is gaining, you're seeing lots of wets, and you're pumping 3 oz after feeding, I really don't think you have low supply!

Because of your problematic start, maybe keep up the pumping and all of the other good stuff for a bit longer, just until your baby has been thriving long enough that you have peace of mind ... but I really think you're on the right track!

P.S. For OALD, it can be helpful to have your baby nurse in a more upright position, or even on top of you, where gravity will help to offset the spraying.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.