Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Out of the blue soreness

Default Out of the blue soreness

I am traveling without my 15 month old and after 36 hours away my right breast feels really hard/full on one side and somewhat painful (but nothing crazy). I don't feel feverish or anything like that and I'll be reunited with the little guy within the next 24 hours. Anything I need to worry about or should I just continue my pumping routine as normal when I need to be away? Or should I pump more? Less? Longer? Any ideas?

Default Re: Out of the blue soreness

It sounds like you probably have a plugged duct. You might want to try massaging the hard spot in the shower or warm compresses and gentle massage before pumping.

ETA: Definitely make sure you are pumping at least as often as usual, you want to try to clear the plug out. Baby will be even more effective at nursing it out once you are back with him. Keep close watch for red streaks or if you start to feel achy or feverish. Plugged ducts can lead pretty quickly to mastitis.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks! I'll try that! I wish there were an app for the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding!

That'd be cool! Though if you have the kindle app on your phone you could get the e-version of the book.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous