Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pumping at work with oversupply

Default Pumping at work with oversupply

I have a question for you LLLadies...

I am very responsive to the pump right now and just pumped 7 ounces out. I know that Trixie is not eating 7 ounces in a feeding, and I actually block nurse on each side for 3 hours at home. I'm scared that I'm going to have an issue on the days I don't work if I pump until milk stops coming out. Basically milk was still coming out when I stopped. I didn't try for a second letdown. I'll see how my second pump goes in a few hours, but if that's also a 7 ouncer, what should I do???
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: Pumping at work with oversupply

This will sound weird but what about block pumping? Imitating what you do at home? Because I could definitely see how if you double pump until you don't get any more milk, you could boost your supply over the week and have trouble on the weekends. Or have to pump on the weekends.

The downside I can see to that is you might get really full sooner than you would otherwise and have to pump more often at work.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hmmm... I will have to see how it goes. I can see advantages to only pumping one side every three hours, but I am not sure.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I'd consider spacing your pumpings out, but first I'd give it another day or two to see if you keep making that much.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I decided not to pump the second time today, I was only away for 5 hours and she only drank one ounce that entire time. But I'll pump twice tomorrow.

You're right jeno, it's best to wait and see what happens. But I don't really want to have to pump the four days I'm off. I'll see how it goes after pumping twice tomorrow and Thursday.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I'd consider spacing your pumpings out, but first I'd give it another day or two to see if you keep making that much.
    I imitated block feeding with the double pump by pumping less frequently when I was pumping than I would if I was nursing. So if I fed Joe every two hours, once on each side, I would pump every four hours, both sides. Except it wasn't really an exact science like that ... in reality I just experimented with it. I ended up pumping twice a day at work, once around 11 a.m. (after a 8:30 a.m. nursing) and once around 3 p.m. Then I'd be home at 6 p.m. and ready to nurse. It takes a few weeks to find your groove, but you'll find it. I couldn't have done one-sided pumping, that would have been far too time-consuming for me.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I did the same thing with my son. I've been nursing on just one side each time with my baby girl, but it's weird; even though she nurses way more often than he did, I don't feel as engorged. I'm a bit worried about what pumping at work will be like. I'm going to start off trying to pump before I leave for the office, a/w/a pumping three times once there. We'll see. I've not been pumping as much beforehand as I did w/ him, b/c my husband wants to be able to share the freezer We almost had to buy an extra freezer last time. Of course one day last week, I pumped 12oz in the am
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I had to be really careful with pumping at work because If I would pump until my milk was done flowing 2-3x a day I would end up with a huge oversupply that I would notice on the weekend when Levi would be drowned with my forceful milk flow. The other problem I had though is that he would take very little milk when I was at work and then cluster feed all evening and night so the milk I was pumping at work was just extra milk my body was making for no reason. I actually cut down to pumping only once during the day IIRC and I pump weaned at work really early, like 9 months.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Lilah wouldn't drink more than half the milk I was pumping. There was a lady with a baby with a cleft palate in town that couldn't pump very much milk. Every time I got to about 100 ounces, I would call her and she would take most of it. I'm hoping that Trixie will drink the milk. I was planning on giving whatever Trixie doesn't drink to Lilah, but Lilah has started noticing the taste in her "Lilah milk" and complains that she doesn't want any "mommy milk." This from a girl that couldn't get enough of the boob for the first two years of her life.
    Tracie

Mommy to

So, I'm not sure how tomorrow is going to go in terms of engorgement, but every day the amount I pump increases. It's not CRAZY, but I know that I don't need 8 ounces for Trixie at 8:30 AM tomorrow. She actually ate 6 ounces yesterday in the 11 hours I was away from her. So that's good. Hopefully she'll get up to 12 or so.

But when should I either back off or spread pumping times out so that I'm not bringing home so much extra milk and causing myself problems on my days off?

Yesterday I pumped 16 ounces, she drank 6. Which means that overnight and in the evening she ate 18ish ounces. And I have 10 ounces too much.

What freaks me out is that the amount I pump increases every day in the same or shorter amount of time. I'm worried that I will end up with a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance which I did have with Lilah for a while and that I will be painfully engorged for two days until it evens out again, fine for two days and then start over with the pumping on Tuesday.

She's 10 weeks old right now. I don't remember my supply really evening out with Lilah until around 6 months. I don't have OALD, just creating an oversupply with pumping, I fear.
    Tracie

Mommy to