Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help, VERY low milk production

Default help, VERY low milk production

hello everyone.
    im new in lll, i hope im welcome enough to ask about my breastfeeding problem.

im a new mom of a 7 month old girl, lena.
    lena has been very good with breastfeeding, she never ever have to drink from a bottle, or formula. now that she's getting big, i dont know if my breasts are making enough milk for her. i noticed my left breast is completely empty and the right one is only full when i wake up in the morning. i think that's the only time my baby gets full. im so worried because i really would like to continue breastfeeding her until at least she turns 1 or whenever she wants to stop. but im not sure now if im still able to do that since my milk production is very low. what should i do? she doesnt look very hungry although im still worried that she's not getting enough. whenever i give her formula from the bottle, she keeps throwing up, like when someone eats something they dont like. i dont know what else to do, she eats solids fine but i dont know why she throws up whenever i give her formula. she doesnt like juice much also. i want to keep breastfeeding her and i tried eating healthy food, and drinking milk and everything else so that i could make more milk but nothing happened. im so worried that she might starve and i dont know what i could give her to fill her in. and one more thing, i got my period today, i guess that's probably one sign that im not making milk as much as before. help please.

Default Re: help, VERY low milk production

Quote Originally Posted by pinaysosexy View Post
    hello everyone.
    im new in lll, i hope im welcome enough to ask about my breastfeeding problem.

im a new mom of a 7 month old girl, lena.
    lena has been very good with breastfeeding, she never ever have to drink from a bottle, or formula. now that she's getting big, i dont know if my breasts are making enough milk for her. i noticed my left breast is completely empty and the right one is only full when i wake up in the morning. i think that's the only time my baby gets full. im so worried because i really would like to continue breastfeeding her until at least she turns 1 or whenever she wants to stop. but im not sure now if im still able to do that since my milk production is very low. what should i do? she doesnt look very hungry although im still worried that she's not getting enough. whenever i give her formula from the bottle, she keeps throwing up, like when someone eats something they dont like. i dont know what else to do, she eats solids fine but i dont know why she throws up whenever i give her formula. she doesnt like juice much also. i want to keep breastfeeding her and i tried eating healthy food, and drinking milk and everything else so that i could make more milk but nothing happened. im so worried that she might starve and i dont know what i could give her to fill her in. and one more thing, i got my period today, i guess that's probably one sign that im not making milk as much as before. help please.
    Hi there,
    Welcome to the boards! You are welcome anytime to ask any questions you might have and we will try to help you find the info and give you the support you need to meet your BF goals! Congrats for making it 7 months BF your DD!!

May I ask you a few more questions?

How much/often is dd eating solids? Do you nurse her before you offer solids?
    How many times does dd nurse in 24 hours? Does she sleep through the night?

Some things I can tell you are this:
    Some moms do experience a slight temporary decrease in milk supply at the beginning of their period. After a few days of increased nursing, their milk supply increases again.

As the BF relationship goes on many moms notice their breasts becoming lighter. This is not a sign of "losing supply" as long as baby is still nursing and removing milk regularly. This is just a sign of baby self regulating.

As far as your dd rejecting the formula, she may be full when you feed it to her, and just overeats because it is there, and then spits it back up. She may also be having reaction, as you said, and just does not like it.

I can give you some more information after I read your answers to the above questions!

Hang in there and just keep nursing, nursing, nursing in the meantime!