Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Allergies and new research

Default Allergies and new research

So I'm wondering how many of us are sticking to the old practice of delaying the introduction of possibly allergenic foods? I just called a dietitian employed by the bc health line who told me it is safe to introduce shellfish to my 8 1/2m old. The new line of thought is that if the kid is allergic they are still going to be allergic at 2y. Fish that are low in mercury are very healthy and recommended by the canadian food guide for healthy eating.

That being said I'm still terrified to give my LO shellfish or anything with nuts.

Anyone out there following the new recommendations?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Default Re: Allergies and new research

I didn't delay introducing anything in particular with my first child. Except milk, I didn't give her milk until she was one. And honey, but that's not an allergy issue.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

You're right about honey. Why did you delay milk? Was it a digestive thing? The latest info I have read on dairy suggested 9m. I'm worried because I know my LO is going to have a couple allergies.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

At the time the recommendation was to wait until one for milk (might still be, I'm not sure). Though I think it's more to keep people from replacing nursing/formula with cow's milk. I gave her other dairy much earlier. She was eating cheese and yogurt around 8 mos.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous