Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reverse Cycling

Question Reverse Cycling

So despite my best efforts my son (7 mos now) has reverse cycled while I am away at work. He's also very go go go so I think nursing during the day was asking him to be too still too much.

Now our night feedings are the constants and the day feedings are touch and go. At night he drinks a HUGE amount of milk- I would guess 6-8oz per feeding just based on the size of my boob and what I know the pump would return at that size. I do get to see him at lunch and he will nurse then. He does love baby led solids- and eats a fair amount during the day but milk is always offered first.

Nursing Feedings -
    12PM
    5PM
    7PM
    8PM (to bed)
    1130 PM
    230 AM
    5AM

Bottles:
    occasional small bottle at 9am or 3pm

During the day he's at a home daycare, and previously he was taking a bottle well but when we stopped giving him big bottles (5+oz) and tried to instead give two he just decided to skip the bottles all together.

I work full time and we are getting by with a sidecar arrangement, but I just wonder about pumping during the day.. how much how often? I also wonder if this will most likely continue until he's ready to wean or if this is a stage?

Looking for some personal experience stories and long term results of this reverse cycling.

PS - What are the best nighttime diapers for tall boys? We are super soaking ALL (cloth and disposable) by the second nurse, and he screams when I change him at night he just wants to nurse and sleep. Not sure how to handle that either.

Thank you
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Default Re: Reverse Cycling

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carmen.arizona View Post
    So despite my best efforts my son (7 mos now) has reverse cycled while I am away at work. He's also very go go go so I think nursing during the day was asking him to be too still too much.

I work full time and we are getting by with a sidecar arrangement, but I just wonder about pumping during the day.. how much how often? I also wonder if this will most likely continue until he's ready to wean or if this is a stage?

Looking for some personal experience stories and long term results of this reverse cycling.

PS - What are the best nighttime diapers for tall boys? We are super soaking ALL (cloth and disposable) by the second nurse, and he screams when I change him at night he just wants to nurse and sleep. Not sure how to handle that either.

Thank you
    Hi, my DD reverse cycled at first but then gradually felt more comfortable at the crèche and slept better at night. The crèche offered 2oz bottles several times a day. I remember getting frustrated if LO refused them because I knew I'd be up all night, but in truth, I got enough sleep so it was alright. I pumped ever 2.5-3 hrs at work using a high-quality new electric double pump for 10-15 minutes, until the letdown slowed and would sometimes restart again. My best pump results were when I absolutely prioritized pumping and pumped at the same time each day, within 2-3 days of this I would get lots of milk. At weekends, though, we bf, which occassionally threw off my pump time schedule as she had a nip here and there more often than I pumped. It worked out though.

How about trying a Doidy cup (NAYY) with LO, who might be encouraged therefore to drink more ebm at daycare? Then it's not in a bottle.

We used Mother-ease Sandy's (NAYY) CDs + extra soaker layer + wool culotte-style covers for nighttime use, but I have a daughter, not a son. They are very absorbant, and the 'vendeuse' who sold them to me used them for her son overnight. They need to be washed several times before use. If they're unwashed urine will go right through.

If natural fibres aren't particularly important, I've read that a mot of parents use a microfibre car drying cloth, 100% encased in cotton or another cloth (I mean sewn entirely inside, includuing all seams even so absolutely no microfibre touches LO) as a soaker. Microfibre is so highly absorbant that contact with skin has been known to cause skin flaking. They absorb a lot, but artifical fibres will eventually take on a smell. I think they're not breathable so they may cause a rash.

Wool is hands-down the #1 choice for heavy wetting since a well-lanolized wool cover will absorb 30% of its dry weight. You'll need at least 2 if the system works for you, as one will need a full 24h to dry out, even if it feels dry. That's the beauty of wool, it feels dry even when it's absorbed moisture. It also stays warm in winter but cool in summer. Also, a second one will give you one to wear while the other is being re-lanolized and drying out again. I keep three on hand, and for the culotte style have the best overnight results by using a size too large so when DD bends her legs it doesn't creep down below the waist. When I used the correct sizes overnight, we repeatedly had problems with the back waist making contact leaks.

HTH!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

I want to add too that 7 months is a very common time for a growth spurt so you might be seening some more nursing then normal for a short period of time but it does sound like baby is doing well...
    what time do you go to bed? maybe your trying to do too much with working and all?

DD is 8 months, and nurses on almost the same schedule. I am at a loss on how to change it. When I try to get her to nurse more during the day, she either just wants to play, or worse she bites me .

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    I want to add too that 7 months is a very common time for a growth spurt so you might be seening some more nursing then normal for a short period of time but it does sound like baby is doing well...
    Also teething, and distractibility, and new mobility skills ... all of these things can add up to a VERY restless baby who wants to nurse all night.

Joe has never been what you would call a good sleeper, but he was worst of all between six months and a year. I think that's just a rough time for sleep. Do what you need to, to survive it. It won't last forever. My personal experience was that Joe stopped being so distractible around a year, which helped him nurse more during the day. He also became more interested in solid foods at that time. And then finally, after he cut his year molars, we saw a huge improvement in sleep quality and wakings. So hang in there, nothing stays the same for long.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carmen.arizona View Post
    Nursing Feedings -
    12PM
    5PM
    7PM
    8PM (to bed)
    1130 PM
    230 AM
    5AM
    Um, I hate to sound unsypathetic, but this sounds like a really nice schedule to me! I think you are doing great!

Mine would look like

6-8 oz drank at day care from 8:30-6 pm (when I see her to when I see her again, she is a bottle refuser)
    Nurse at 6 pm
    7 pm
    Nurse to bed at 8:30
    11:30
    1 am
    1:30 am
    2 am
    3 am
    3:30 am
    5 am
    7:30-8 am wake up and nurse.

I'm pretty sure she takes at least 66% of her milk calories between 8:30 pm and 7:30 am. Hang in there mama, I am holding onto the idea that this DOES get better, sometime before college!
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooky View Post
    Mine would look like

6-8 oz drank at day care from 8:30-6 pm (when I see her to when I see her again, she is a bottle refuser)
    Nurse at 6 pm
    7 pm
    Nurse to bed at 8:30
    11:30
    1 am
    1:30 am
    2 am
    3 am
    3:30 am
    5 am
    7:30-8 am wake up and nurse.
    Oh gosh, I sympathize with this!! I love the half-hour increments, don't you? Those are the BEST.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooky View Post
    Um, I hate to sound unsypathetic, but this sounds like a really nice schedule to me! I think you are doing great!

I'm pretty sure she takes at least 66% of her milk calories between 8:30 pm and 7:30 am. Hang in there mama, I am holding onto the idea that this DOES get better, sometime before college!
    I am sympathetic to you!! ...like I said with the sidecar it is getting better/easier but James easily takes in maybe 30oz from 6pm to 5am. At least he has a big belly! I know he's tired too, he takes really long naps at daycare, otherwise I don't think I'd try as hard to cycle him back.

We are going to try some of the Avent sippy cup top swap ins for our already existing Avent bottles.

I might try one of those wool covers, my other nursing friend recommended it. Are you sure it's not itchy?

Thanks for the support!
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

I'm a HUGE fan of wool soakers. They NEVER leak for us (or okay, have leaked like once in a year maybe). AWESOME. Can't rave enough. You do have to handwash them, but only every couple of weeks or so, the lanolin actually neutralizes odors! Totally magic sheep.

You can call me JoMo!