Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused about wheat

Default Confused about wheat

I'm confused about when it is appropriate to offer wheat to babies. In The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding it is listed under both "Some Simple Starter Foods" and "Foods to Avoid."

Lizzie is almost 7 months and has been "eating" solids for about a month. We haven't had any allergic reactions to any fruits or veggies. Starting about a week ago she began to visibly enjoy her food and look for more. At dinner tonight she was drooling over my grilled cheese and tomato soup (and I didn't have anything else to offer her- it was one of those days) so I offered her a couple strips of whole wheat crust. I'll watch for adverse reactions, of course, but I'm not sure if I'm jumping the gun on this food. Neither DH or I have any allergies, though I have a few family members with gluten sensitivities.

If wheat is okay, does that mean that whole wheat bread with all it's yeast, honey, salt, etc baked in is okay, too?

I remember hearing long before I became a mommy that little kids should have white bread, not whole grains. Supposedly the fiber clears everything out of their systems before they can absorb the nutrients. Sounds like a load of hooey to me. Does anyone know?
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Default Re: Confused about wheat

I'm not sure but interested to hear from someone who is.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I think, generally speaking, that nutrient absorption is lower in whole grains than in refined grains. As counter intuitive as that is.

Off to look for documentation...

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...ilability.html
    Last edited by @llli*duckpond; April 10th, 2011 at 08:19 PM.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    I think, generally speaking, that nutrient absorption is lower in whole grains than in refined grains. As counter intuitive as that is.

Off to look for documentation...
    Teal - When googling add in "phytic acid" and you might get what you are looking for. Here is one of the random ones I just came across whole wheat dilemma

Based on all of my non-scientific research it is best so use whole grains that have been sprouted - then you are supposed to get the best of both worlds. When possible I try to use sourdough or sprouted.

Whole grains are sometimes harder to digest - so when adding them in, you should do it gradually - that is don't go from no wheat to giving her a piece of whole grain toast the next day.
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lorders View Post
    Teal - When googling add in "phytic acid" and you might get what you are looking for.
    I had a particular article in mind, but was having trouble finding it. I found another good one, but still haven't tracked down the one I saw some months back. It had charts comparing the absorption rates, not the contents, of various minerals in brown rice vs white rice. I know it's not exactly the same as wheat, but it was an impressive visual comparing whole to refined grains.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Eek! I have a hard enough time getting lizzie her bananas, potatoes and broccoli on a regular basis, let alone find time to sprout wheat for her!
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

For us family history took a big part in when to intro wheat. We waiting til 8 months with DS1 but his eczema broke out a lot worse so we waited another year after he had some tests to give it to him again. Also, DH is gluten intolerant. So, DS2 didn't have wheat until 10 or 11 months. Otherwise, if you didn't see a reaction, you're probably okay.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Food allergies - the tendency to have allergies is inherited but NOT the specific allergy. So if you or DH have any sort of seasonal or environmental allergies your LO are also likely to have some sort of allergies too. Which could include food allergies.

Honey - considered a no-no until baby is 1 year. Even if honey is cooked.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Food allergies - the tendency to have allergies is inherited but NOT the specific allergy. So if you or DH have any sort of seasonal or environmental allergies your LO are also likely to have some sort of allergies too. Which could include food allergies.

Honey - considered a no-no until baby is 1 year. Even if honey is cooked.

I do want to emphasize though that in the case of wheat and other gluten grains there is a genetic element to a sensitivity. So, if you do have sensitivities in your family it might be prudent to back off or wait. At least in the case of a sensitivity there is not a risk of a life-threatening reaction, but sometimes you have to watch for subtle symptoms to spot a gluten sensitivity/intolerance.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine