Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Destined to supplement?

Default Destined to supplement?

Hi Ladies, I asked this in a previous post and didn't get any responses. Just wanted to give it another shot. I have a four and a half month old that I recently had to start supplementing, per doctor's orders.

We got off to a rocky start due to my ignorance and anxiety and it was a struggle since then. We supplemented for a few months, and then I was able to get her off the supplement. For the past two months we bfed exclusively whenever she wanted for as long as she wanted, night and day, avoided supplementing, took MoreMilkPlus. She wasn't gaining much, and actually lost weight in the last two weeks. I'm back at work now and can't put in the time to get her ebf. Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but her delivery was pretty long and difficult (pushing 4.5 hours), and the second catheter I received left me with a UTI. Only mention that part because I heard infections can hinder milk production.

With having said all that, if I have to supplement with one child, am I destined to supplement with all my future children? Is it possible that if the delivery had been easier, I didn't have an infection, or if I didn't rush with the supplementing at first I would have had an easier time? I'm just really bummed... thanks for your help lady

Default Re: Destined to supplement?

Don't beat yourself up, mama. Any nursing that you can do for your child now is awesome!

I don't think that just because you had to supplement with one means that you'll HAVE to supplement any future babes. But I would focus on the one you have now and worry about future babes in the ...future
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

- don't beat yourself up, and any breastmilk that your baby gets is good, good, good.

As far as future babies, I've read/heard that breastfeeding is often easier and less complicated the second (and third, fourth, etc) time around. Partly, you're more familiar and comfortable with it, and partly, your glands have already been "primed".

I only have one baby, but maybe some of the mothers with more than one can offer their insight
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Oh mama

I never got my supply up enough for my first baby but we nursed for 11mo (you can too, really). We had a terrible birth and infections afterward too. But DD was exclusively breastfed and we are still nursing with no end in sight (she is 18months). In fact I had over supply for her. We also had a wonderful fantastic, brilliant, empowering and cathartic birth experience. Every baby is different. PM me if you ever need support.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Im on baby #5 and each one got easier...untill this one my DS is 8.5wks but I truely believe that if I would of just listened to my body and my LO and found this site sooner and didnt let some QWACK DRs get in my head I would not be supplemnting now
    I do believe that educating myself more each time was a big help and I think our confidence increases each time
    MOST IMPORTAIN is finding GOOD help...like from the mammas on here
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

You're doing the best that you can, and doing what you need to for DD to be healthy, and that is what's important! Don't worry about what might have been - you did what you felt was best for your family at the time, and that is what is important. You were able to get back to EBF after supplementing, and you should be proud! Also, as the others have said, any BM that you can provide is a good thing, even if LO can't be EBF - it doesn't mean that you're any less of a mommy. Way to go for doing what you're doing, and keep it up!

I'm not sure if you have access to any hands-on support, but I found a great LC, and regularly see a Naturopath (who helped with waining supply), and they worked wonders for us when the going got tough, even 2-3+ months in. I typically have an over-abundant supply, but found that when my stress/anxiety levels rose, my milk supply tanked.

I only have one LO, but have learned from friends and acquaintences that the experience with each child is a new one - each pregnancy, L&D, and postpartum experience is vastly different. I know of someone who had great 'healing' with the much easier birth of their second child. I also know of a couple of mommies who had an incredible struggle to get their 3rd and 4th children respectively to BF. Do the best you can with what you get, and that is all that you can do. There is sometimes disappointment with things not going as planned, but you should be proud knowing that you tried / persevered.

Thank you for all the words of encouragement. The next time will be different... not only cuz of it being a different baby, but because I'll have more knowledge (thanks to the TONS of bfing books, articles, forums, etc.). I just won't worry about it until then. Thank you so much ladies!