Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to wean a 13 month old

Default Re: How to wean a 13 month old

@mommal i am flying thru ben gorion. i wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt, i guess i am over thinking it but i just dont want the person sitting next to me to get bothered or me being exposed bc my son wont let me cover him. ahhh idk. i do appreciate everyone's support and replies.

Okay, FWIW, here's my experience flying into Ben Gurion. The 2 types of people who I always see on the plane are 1) tourists from Western countries, who don't give a hoot if you nurse your baby (or run topless down the street ) and 2) religious Jews with very large families, who are more likely to be uncomfortable with a woman wearing pants () than by a woman nursing her baby. Of course I'm vastly oversimplifying the complexities of human behavior! But I really don't think the plane will be as awful as you fear.

Are you travelling with a companion? Or will it be just you and the baby? If the latter, I would request a window seat, and maybe ask the agent if you can be seated next to a female passenger. Not that men are likely to care, but if you would be more comfortable sitting next to a woman than a man, then it's worth asking.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

LOL!!! Omgosh thank you for the laugh. You made me feel better and you're right about the passengers. I'm traveling alone. My in laws live there and have not met the baby, that's the whole point of my trip.

I bet you'll be fine nursing there. It's totally possible to nurse discreetly without having to cover your baby with a blanket. I agree with mommal about maybe getting something tailored for discreet nursing. Especially when you are dealing with a society where nursing is the norm I'm positive it's nothing they are not very used to seeing. I think Americans are more likely to have a hang-up about it than Arabs. I know it must just feel like one more thing to have to deal with on a trip that might already be stressful, but weaning might just add more stress than figuring out how to nurse in private or discreetly there. Good luck.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*samiha View Post
    I bet you'll be fine nursing there. It's totally possible to nurse discreetly without having to cover your baby with a blanket. I agree with mommal about maybe getting something tailored for discreet nursing. Especially when you are dealing with a society where nursing is the norm I'm positive it's nothing they are not very used to seeing. I think Americans are more likely to have a hang-up about it than Arabs. I know it must just feel like one more thing to have to deal with on a trip that might already be stressful, but weaning might just add more stress than figuring out how to nurse in private or discreetly there. Good luck.
    I don't know about the Palestinian Authority areas, but in Israel there's a lot of acceptance for breastfeeding, and for public breastfeeding. The secular Israelis nurse, the religious ones nurse. No one will look twice at you for breastfeeding.

Just wanted to make one more suggestion for nursing on the plane- bring a couple small safety pins or tape and a lightweight shawl or extra hijab. You can pin/tape the cloth to the seat in front of you and make yourself a private enclosure.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thank you ladies. Mommal that's a good idea! has anyone traveled with their baby on a plane before? the window seat is good for nursing but it's gonna be a hassle everytime i want to use the restroom or my son wants to get up. he just began walking

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sweetarab02 View Post
    Thank you ladies. Mommal that's a good idea! has anyone traveled with their baby on a plane before? the window seat is good for nursing but it's gonna be a hassle everytime i want to use the restroom or my son wants to get up. he just began walking
    I traveled cross country with my son who was 9 months. I used a shawl around my shoulders and held it with both hands when he nursed. That way his head wasn't covered but it provided an easy screen from side view also doubled as a blanket.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

ill def have a blanket on hand. my issue with my son is he's easily distracted and i cant hold him like when he was younger. he likes to nurse as if he's in a crawling position

Tips for traveling with a baby:
    - Bring a change of clothes for you and 2 for the baby. That way you'll be able to clean yourself up if the baby throws up or poops all over you. (Hey, it happens! )
    - Bring multiple plastic grocery bags. They're useful for containing soiled items that you want to keep (like pooped-on clothes), and also for disposing of soiled diapers. When you're on a plane for 13 hours or whatever, you don't want to just stuff a soiled diaper into the bathroom trash, because you'll be living with that smell for a loooong time! You want to wrap it in plastic and give it to the flight attendant to dispose of.
    - Hand sanitizer. Toddlers touch all sorts of gross things!
    - Sling or baby carrier. You can carry your baby through the airport, and walk him up and down the aisle of the plane.
    - Stroller. You can check it plane-side, and reclaim it when you disembark.
    - Snacks. Bring plenty for you and the baby. You never know what they'll feed you on the plane, or if your LO will want to eat it!
    - Infant Tylenol and thermometer.
    - Toys. I suggest bringing your baby's favorites and also a few brand new items. Each new toy buys you about 5 minutes of peace!

I don't know if you have an ipod, iphone or other smart phone, but there are a lot of apps you can download for little kids. I used some of them when we traveled with my 14 month old and 3 year old in December.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine