Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to wean a 13 month old

Default How to wean a 13 month old

Hello,

I need help weaning my 13 month old son. I have been nursing him exclusively since day one, never introduced formula to him and he never took a pacifier or a bottle, he always refused it. I absolutely love the bonding with him, however in a couple months I will be traveling overseas with him and I will not be able to nurse him in public over there, in the airport or on the plane due to religious views, I can not be exposed in public and my son will not let me cover him with a blanket he'll keep trying to attack the blanket. He refuses cow milk, and won't drink juice only water from a sippie cup. He nurses a few times during the day and about every 50 min at night from 2am-noon. I am completely exhausted and he has never slept for more than 2 hours straight. I don't want to try the CIO method, it'd break my heart. I have no idea what to do or how to come about this if anyone has any helpful tips. Also, he won't let his father take him to put him to sleep so that is out of the question unfortunately. Thank you

Default Re: How to wean a 13 month old

I haven't done it, but do you think you could day wean and continue nursing at night when you are in private? At that age DS was extremely distractible whenever we were out of the house, so we rarely NIP anyways. If you do decide to fully wean, you may want to try offering alternatives to dairy such as sow or almond milk. I don't know where you will be moving to, but obviously you will want to try milk that will be readily available. DS didn't like cow's milk at first, but my mom started him with vanilla yogurt and banana smoothies. Eventually we cut out the banana and yogurt and he was drinking regular cow's milk by 15 months. He also refused to drink milk out of a regular sippy cup, but liked the Nuby straw cups.

I figured if I could night wean him and get him to sleep all night, it'd be easier during the day because he's so distracted he barely nurses unless I'm tired and want to nap and then I just let him nurse so he'd nap with me. I am not moving it's just a small vacation to the Middle East, but I doubt I will find almond milk etc there. I have tried adding chocolate or strawb to the milk but he takes a sip and spits it out. He doesn't know how to drink from the straw cup I bought him one. The smoothie is a good idea, he loves banana's and yogurt. I forgot to mention he eats great, he loves his veggies and eats cereal for breakfast and snacks healthy, it's just the attachment to the boobie. I also can't get him to sleep unless he's using me as a pacifier.

Can you tell us where you are going and a little more about the religeous issues? Just wondering what other women in that culture do? Do they all wean early?

Is there any way you could bottle feed for the trip and then continue nursing when you get to your destination and can do it privately? How much time do you have before the trip? Are you going to be living there or just visiting and if so for how long?

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

if it's just a small vacation, could you find private areas to nurse him?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

If he nurses 3-4 times per 24 hours you don't need any substitutes. Have you tried the No Cry Sleep Solution or dr jay gordons night weaning ideas? Can't link as I'm NAKbut I'd google them. We had success this way.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

In the Middle East overall nursing rates are pretty high so women must nurse in public. If you are going someplace in the Arab world I might be able to ask some of my teachers (all Arab) and they could maybe pass on some first hand info.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I am traveling to Palestine after father's day for a month. I wear the "hijab" or scarf. So I cover my hair and have to wear long modest clothing so I have never been able to nurse in public. I'm not sure if women there wean early being born and raised in the states but my family there say they bf for at least 2-3 years. You can always find me in the car or dressing room if I need to nurse my son while I am out. My issue is mainly nursing in the airport or the plane, I just won't be able to do it especiallllly because my son won't let me nurse him in any position like when he was a newborn. Now he does it as if he's about to crawl, hovered over me lol. He won't take a bottle so I can't do that. I read dr gordon's article if that's the one where he says to nurse a lil and put them down while they are awake? Can't remember off the top of my head but if so my baby is asleep when he's nursing so many times during the night. I feel so stressed because we are both so attached to nursing but I can't do it on my trip.

What airline are you flying, and what airport are you flying into? I've flown a lot of the airlines that go to Ben Gurion airport and no-one bats an eye at women nursing. Especially provided they make a minimal effort to keep it discreet. Do you wear a thob (is that the right word?)or similar modest dress? If so, maybe you could find a tailor who could create a discreet nursing opening that would allow you to expose the bare minimum?

I'm guessing that you're worrying more than you should. IIRC, you're likely to be flying overnight. That means the lights in the cabin will be off and most people will be sleeping or trying to sleep, not looking at you and your LO. And your LO will be sleepy, and won't be trying to nurse while doing a headstand. And once you're at your destination, I think you will find that there's a lot of accommodation for separate genders.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

some interesting blog posts about nursing and Islamic/modest dress
    from the Islam awareness blog
    from a Muslim moms group
    And you might want to ask some questions on the Breastfeeding Muslim MOthers Support Group facebook page

I hope you don't need to wean your child, but there are certainly partial weaning options. And, nursing mothers' rooms are not uncommon in airports around the world so you might want to contact the airports you will be traveling through to see if they have such a thing.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.