Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply

Default Oversupply

hi i am looking for some help from mothers who've struggled with an oversupply of milk!

i have a huge oversupply of milk and i've been getting reccurrant plugged ducts as a result....i need help with trying to get my supply down to normal! I have stopped feeding off both breasts and only feed off one at a time but that isn't really helping to balance it out either so i need some help!

when i get a plugged duct i then have to pump and feed more often to get rid of it and so my supply seems to continue its over abundance! it seems like a vicious cycle...i would be grateful to anyone that can help! thanks so much!

Default Re: Oversupply

Hi there!

From Kellymom.com

What is the usual treatment for plugged ducts and mastitis?

General Nurse frequently & empty the breasts thoroughly.
    Aim for nursing at least every 2 hrs. Keep the affected breast as empty as possible, but don’t neglect the other breast.
    When unable to breastfeed, mom should express milk frequently and thoroughly (with a breast pump or by hand).

Before nursing Use heat & gentle massage before nursing
    - Warm compress. Try using a disposable diaper: fill the diaper with hot water (try the temperature on your wrist first to avoid burns), squeeze the diaper out a bit, then put the inside of the diaper toward the breast. This will stay warm much longer than a wet cloth.
    - Basin soak. Fill sink or bowl with hot water and submerge breast in water while massaging the plugged area toward the nipple. Some report better results when epsom salts are added to the water -- add a handful of epsom salts per 2 quarts (2 liters) of water. Rinse with fresh water before nursing, as baby may object to the taste.
    - Hot Shower. It can be helpful to massage in the shower with a large-toothed comb. The comb should be drawn through a bar of soap until it is very soapy and then used to gently massage over the affected area in the direction of the nipple.
    Loosen bra & any constrictive clothing to aid milk flow.

While nursing Nurse on the affected breast first; if it hurts too much to do this, switch to the affected breast directly after let-down.
    Ensure good positioning & latch. Use whatever positioning is most comfortable and/or allows the plugged area to be massaged.
    Note: Advice to point baby's chin (or nose) toward the plugged area is not necessarily going to be helpful as it is based on the idea that the milk ducts take a nice, direct route to the nipple - recent research tells us that this is not true, and that a particular duct might begin in one area of the breast but can "wander" in many different directions before terminating in any area of the nipple.
    Use breast compressions.
    Massage gently but firmly from the plugged area toward the nipple.
    Try nursing while leaning over baby (sometimes called "dangle feeding") so that gravity aids in dislodging the plug.

After nursing Pump or hand express after nursing to aid milk drainage and speed healing.
    Use cold compresses between feedings for pain & inflammation.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Welcome, daisy! I'm moving your thread to the "too much milk" forum for more replies.

This info might be helpful:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    Summary of Strategies to Reduce Rate of Milk Production and Force of Milk Ejection
    *Nurse on one side for a each feeding, continuing to offer that same side for at least two hours until the next full feeding
    **Gradually increase the length of time feeding from one breast if necessary
    **If this strategy is not effective, try the method of throughly pumping breasts and then feeding on one breast until unbearably full (described in detail above)
    *If the other breast feels unbearably full before you are ready to nurse on it, pump or hand express for a few moments to relieve some of the pressure
    *Use cold raw green cabbage leaves or a bag of frozen peas to reduce discomfort and swelling
    **See the Engorgement FAQ for more suggestions
    *Feed baby before he becomes overly hungry to minimize aggressive sucking
    *Try alternate nursing positions
    **Mother leaning far back
    **Side-lying (letting milk dribble out)
    *Use scissors hold or the side of your hand to compress ducts to reduce the force of the milk ejection
    *If baby chokes or sputters, unlatch him and let the excess milk spray into a towel or cloth
    *Allow baby to come on and off the breast at will
    *Burp frequently if baby is gassy
    *Certain herbs and drugs, used judiciously, may be helpful in reducing milk production
    This is another helpful resource:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Have you contacted your local LLL Leader for support?

Hi Daisy ,

Welcome to the Too Much Milk forum! I hope you will find the information and support you need here!

Have you been able to try any of Jolie's suggestions? How is it going?

Tiana

I have started increasing length of time on each side to two feedings a side before switching which usually equals about 4 to 5 hour blocks and I think this might be helping but need to try it for a few days to see what it really does! hopefully i won't get another plugged duct before things straighten out because that's what really seems to set me back evey time..

leaning back and letting the babynurse from slightly different positions seems to be helping him be more comfortable and laying down while nursing works really well, but i can't do that in public

thanks so much for all the info....i'll keep trying these ideas and see if they work!!

It's great to hear that things are going better for you !

It is important while block feeding to keep track of how your breasts feel so as to avoid plugged ducts. If you start feeling overfull on the side you're not currently nursing on, you may want to hand express a little milk, just until you are comfortable again. Many mamas find it easiest to just lean over the sink to do this. You could also use a cloth diaper.

Keep me posted,

Tiana