Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Iron - Bad Eater - Loves to Nurse

Default Low Iron - Bad Eater - Loves to Nurse

15 month old Gianna is really giving momma a hard time eating. I try to feed her food before the breast, but she only eats a bite or two. I don't mind nursing, but now that her iron is low, I can't help feeling like I am partially to blame.

We co-sleep, and she night nips. I am home with her, so she has 100% access to momma all day, every day. She never took a bottle, so its the milk, and the comfort that she is looking for.

I was hoping that she would wean herself, and that she would eat what she needed. Now, I have to take this more seriously, because her iron is low. We did a finger test at one year, and another at 15 months. Since her levels dropped, we had a blood test from her arm, that was torture, and needs to be repeated at 18 months.

I would not mind getting a little more sleep, either. . . .

Motherhood is so unfair. . . . first you stress that the baby is not nursing enough, then its that she is nursing too much.

Default Re: Low Iron - Bad Eater - Loves to Nurse

Mama, stop blaming yourself! Breastmilk typically has enough iron to prevent anemia. Did someone tell you that nursing "too much" is to blame for your child's low iron level? Because if so... Well, that just isn't true!!! You cannot force a child to eat solids, and weaning isn't a magic cure for anemia. If you wean, what do you gain? Nothing! All you do is remove a reliable source of complete nutrition from your baby's diet.

I know a lot of mamas whose babies aren't great with solids use vitamin drops to supplement. I think a lot of mamas use Floradix for kids with low iron.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Caroline had low iron at her 12 month check up, and she is a GREAT eater, and nurses 4-5x a day/night. But she eats LOTS of solids, and has been a really big eater since she was around 10 months old.

I have been giving her a multivitamin/ iron supplement (I think it's the Enfamil brand), not every night, because I forget, but at least 4x a week. She has her 15 month checkup next Thursday, and I'm so curious as to what her iron levels are. I also have been giving her more beans because they have some iron, and some iron fortified cereals. She won't eat ground beef.

Try a vitamin, and don't worry about nursing too much...breast milk is good for her! I wonder if YOU took an iron supplement if that would help. I didn't do that, but it probably wouldn't have hurt.
    Mom to Caroline born 01.11.10, a 8 y.o. son and 10 y.o. daughter!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mhcmom View Post
    Caroline had low iron at her 12 month check up, and she is a GREAT eater, and nurses 4-5x a day/night. But she eats LOTS of solids, and has been a really big eater since she was around 10 months old.
    And, on the flip side, Lorenzo didn't eat solids until he was over 2 years old and never had low iron levels.

Will she drink smoothies? Flaxseed meal and black strap molasses are both good sources of iron (among other things) and can be included in just about any kind of smoothie...
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb