Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fustrated w/ my dr

Default Fustrated w/ my dr

I went to my doctor today due to ongoing symptoms of depression. He was very warm and friendly and patient. All was going well until I mentioned that I am still breastfeeding my 13 month old. He asked "when are you planning on stopping that?" I just kinda shrugged it off, since I don't have a "planned" date of weaning, just wanted to go until either me or my DS no longer wanted to. Then my dr goes on this big rant about how my son no longer needs to be breastfeeding and he's not getting any benefit from it, and I need to seriously consider weaning. Of course he's a "big advocate" of breastfeeding, up to 6 months... I should've said that the Canadian Pediatric Society recommends breastfeeding up to 2 years and beyond, but I was just too shocked to say anything. Here I am opening up about my feelings of depression, and end up feeling bad about bfing my son. I just kind of vaugly agreed that he was mosly bfing out of habit, and could wean with work. My dr said if I end up needing medication, then I would have to wean for sure, and that would be the best thing to do if medication is needed.

Now I feel so conflicted. My DS seems to "need" to nurse at least 3x per day (which isn't much, really) and I just can't picture weaning him right now. Even tho he's walking around and becoming a toddler, he's still such a baby! Plus since I've returned to work full-time I think it's just a nice bonding time. But the depression is quite hard to deal with, and I need to deal with that in order to be a better person and therefore better mom. Has anyone else been on anti-depressants while nursing? Is this okay?
    I my LLL meetings and this forum! Without them I wouldn't have been able to deal with poor latch, mastitis, over supply or thrush. Make a goal and stick with it! After many hurdles, I my baby boy, born all naturally 01/23/2010.

Birth Weight: 7lbs 15ozs
    6 Weeks: 11lbs 2ozs
    9 Weeks: 14lbs 0oz
    12 Weeks: 15lbs 3ozs
    4 Months: 16lbs 10ozs
    5.5 Months: 19lbs 1oz
    6.5 Months: 20lbs 0oz

Default Re: Fustrated w/ my dr

I have not personally, but I know a ton of moms on here bf while taking medicine for depression. And with a toddler it will effect him less because he doesn't bf as often. Fwiw my ped simply assumed I was still bfing at 15 months. And so many studies show it has great benefits even beyond 2 years of age. I am on my phone but i am sure someone will come along with great links.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Time to find a new doctor hun.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

sounds like your doctor isnt very supportive and that upset you a lot. I would look into a new doc. You went it specifically for one issue and not to get a lecture about breastfeeding.

FWIW I too know some moms BF while on meds for depression. Can you call infant risk hotline to find out if the meds are safe?
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Get a new doctor
    What he did was mean.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...hale10-02.html

Zoloft is the safest antidepressant to take while BFing.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Your doctor needs a swift kick up the arse, but i think it might be better for you to just fire him. 3 times a day is very little for a nursing 13 mo. so you are doing great. And there are a number of anti-depressants that are bf friendly - zoloft/sertraline is usually the first choice though.

Come on over to the PPD part forum. Lots of us are
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Silly doctor. Please repeat after me: "I don't know much about breastfeeding, how extended nursing might impact depression, or whether or not it's safe to take antidepressants and nurse at the same time. I suggest you contact a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, so that you can talk to a real professional."

Sometimes docs fall victim to that most human of impulses: the desire to appear wiser or more knowledgeable than we really are. Sometimes you get good advice when someone pulls an answer out of thin air. In this case, you didn't. You can nurse while using antidepressants. There's no reason to stop nursing at 6 months. And weaning now- how exactly would that help you? You'd still be mothering the same challenging little toddler, only you'd be doing it without one of your most reliable tools! How would that improve your depression issues?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

at that doc.

Weaning causes hormonal upsets and can worsen depression.

There's plenty of safe antidepressants, should you need them, to take while BFing.

Also, throwing meds at it is so silly if you don't do anything else. You also need a good support group, and plain old counseling, in addition to the support, might be enough.

I haven't met anyone who just took meds and the depression went away. But I know people who implemented more support and found a good counselor and didn't need meds.

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    at that doc.

I haven't met anyone who just took meds and the depression went away. But I know people who implemented more support and found a good counselor and didn't need meds.

yup...find somebody else to talk with.

Your doctor sounds like a jerk. I take zoloft and am still breastfeeding my almost 2 year old. No need to wean mama!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold