Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Safe Carrots?

Default Safe Carrots?

After a few weeks of frustration with trying rice cereal (I saw a post calling it tasteless mush and it's absolutely right!), I've been letting Emily do her own thing with food, kind of letting her guide me. She's only 6 mo. and 2 weeks and doesn't really have a good pincer grasp, but she has been bringing food to her mouth, like a banana that I was peeling.

Last night I was having some brown rice and veggies and I offered her one of the carrots to nom on. She definitely put it in her mouth several times and seemed to enjoy the taste while sucking on it (I kept a hold of it). Unfortunately, it was a microwave-steamed baby carrot, so she wasn't really able to break any of it off because she has no teeth and couldn't bite it across the grain. Should I get her some cross-cut carrots? I'm not completely sold on the baby-led solids thing because I'm not sure I can judge "appropriate" with regards to choking... I mean, do you dice the food up to the size of puffs so that they can't choke, or do you give them big pieces and hope they don't suck off enough to choke on? DCP suggested canned carrots because they're so small and cooked, but I just thought those would be gross and salty and processed...

I'm trying to find an avocado in this town, but it's proving difficult. I'm a working mommy with a hellish commute and going to multiple grocery stores on the weekend might be a bit much for me...

Any ideas for easy, quick foods to try with Emily would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*marley-n-emily; April 8th, 2011 at 01:14 PM.

Default Re: Safe Carrots?

I would offer cooked carrots, sure. (I feel that I should mention that some folks question the safety of carrots as a baby food because of nitrates, but I believe the concern is for babies UNDER six months - http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/nitratearticle.htm.) Also, what about cooked sweet potato? Cooked peas (they pretty much fall apart in your mouth, so they don't require teeth)? Even very softly cooked meats can be a good early food. It should be soft enough to be gummed, which might be softer than how you would eat your food, but doesn't need to be a puree.

Because your baby doesn't have a pincher grasp yet, I'd just say, take it slow. No need to hurry her. She'll be sitting up and demanding foods soon enough (and that's the sign that she's ready for them). At six months, it's just for fun. Joe didn't eat much in the way of solids until he was nine months. There's no need to push solids on a breastfed baby, just have fun with it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for the info and encouragement!

Are organic carrots better for the nitrates, or does it matter? I could definitely do sweet potato, but I'm not sure how to cook it - I usually eat mine baked/roasted...do you boil them like a regular potato?

Peas are great - are the little skins something to worry about? I could probably let her chase some of those around on the tray...more might get squashed than in her mounth, but that's fine...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marley-n-emily View Post
    Thanks for the info and encouragement!

Are organic carrots better for the nitrates, or does it matter? I could definitely do sweet potato, but I'm not sure how to cook it - I usually eat mine baked/roasted...do you boil them like a regular potato?

Peas are great - are the little skins something to worry about? I could probably let her chase some of those around on the tray...more might get squashed than in her mounth, but that's fine...
    Apparently nitrates are in the soil, and some plants absorb more of them than other plants. They're natural, but babies can get too much of them. So organic makes no difference. But I think carrots are perfectly safe for older babies in moderation.

Baked, roasted, boiled, mashed ... any of those methods work! You don't have to prepare your baby's sweet potato differently than yours (except perhaps skip the sugary glaze and marshmallows for now ). I usually baked them or roasted them with a little olive oil, myself. Then I peeled off the skin and gave my baby small, soft pieces to pick up, play with, and hopefully eat!

I don't think the skin on peas is an issue for most babies, but maybe try softer foods like the potato first and see how that goes, because peas do have more "texture" for sure. Some babies tolerate a lot of texture, some are more picky. You kind of have to play it by ear.

Other things that you can try are cubes of soft tofu, soft fruits like apricots, pears, and peaches, cooked winter or summer squash, and plain yogurt. Have fun with it!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I would just cook them to the point that they can be mushed easily between your fingers, then you can give her smallish chunks.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Oh, and any cooked bean. Joe loved beans at that age, with almost no seasoning (I often cook beans in broth). I've learned here that in Mexico, black bean broth is often baby's first food.

You can call me JoMo!

I didn't read all the replies, but actually at that age I generally never cooked the carrots. I gave my son a very large raw carrot, and he held it in his hands and gnawed on it with the little teeth that he did have.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

A trick I was told was to keep the peices smaller then a dime. My LO loved peas and rice. She also ate bread, but i think I read somewhere that its not a goood idea untill after 9m. Oh and tossing banana chunks in rice cereal makes them easier for baby to pick up.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Also, don't cut food (thinks like carrots) into round pieces because it's easier for the food to get stuck in their little throats what way.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold