Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping frustrations!

Default Pumping frustrations!

Normally I pump 6.5-7 oz in the mornings. This a.m., I pumped 5 oz. ARGH. My LO is 10 months old. My allergies are really bad today so I'm sure that's probably why my pumping output is so low. It's just very frustrating!! So looking forward to pump weaning in a couple of months.

Default Re: Pumping frustrations!

Why are you pumping? Why are you weaning in a couple months?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I am pumping at work. I work 3 days a week. When my daughter is 12 months old, I still want to continue nursing but stop pumping at work. I can nurse her at lunch still. I am just so tired of pumping at work! It's incredibly difficult, takes so much time, and draining. Thanks for understanding!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zeebaby View Post
    I am just so tired of pumping at work!
    Me too, mama, and my youngest is not even 3 mos yet Pumping is a huge time commitment. Obviously better than the alternative (or we wouldn't do it), but so much more difficult than just lifting your shirt up I plan on pump weaning at 12 mos also. You should have plenty of milk left for your time together @ that point.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Good for you for getting this far! Your LO is lucky!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Thanks, both of you! It's just difficult sometimes! I am thankful we have made it this far w/o any supplementing!

Don't be too frustrated about one bad day of pumping. Some days I get like 15 oz a day pumping and some only 5 oz....breasts are weird and wonderful things.

Are you taking any meds for your allergies? I *think* I remember reading that benedryl can tank your supply.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    Don't be too frustrated about one bad day of pumping. Some days I get like 15 oz a day pumping and some only 5 oz....breasts are weird and wonderful things.

Are you taking any meds for your allergies? I *think* I remember reading that benedryl can tank your supply.
    We all have bad days, and yours doesn't seem that bad, all things told.

Sudafed (with pseudoephedrine) can reduce supply, as can Claritin-D, which has the same ingredient. Benedryl can also reduce supply. That said, I have taken all of these medications, and never had any major problems. It seems to vary from woman to woman.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks, mamas! It's funny! I had a really good lunch that day & ended up pumping 4oz in the afternoon so my total increased to 9, which is fine for me. :-) I guess I just needed more nourishment.

I am not taking any meds for allergies except a homeopathic remedy and occasionally Nettle. I took allergy meds a while back & noticed a difference in pumping.

I need to constantly remind myself that 1 bad day or session doesn't determine everything. I still have some milk in my freezer. I am also so thankful I've been able to feed my daughter my milk this entire time. Thanks for your support!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zeebaby View Post
    Thanks, mamas! It's funny! I had a really good lunch that day & ended up pumping 4oz in the afternoon so my total increased to 9, which is fine for me. :-) I guess I just needed more nourishment.

I am not taking any meds for allergies except a homeopathic remedy and occasionally Nettle. I took allergy meds a while back & noticed a difference in pumping.

I need to constantly remind myself that 1 bad day or session doesn't determine everything. I still have some milk in my freezer. I am also so thankful I've been able to feed my daughter my milk this entire time. Thanks for your support!!
    It's hard not to get kind of control-freaky when you're pumping, and count every drop! But truly, you're going to get different amounts at different times, and that's fine. It doesn't mean your supply is tanking - you're allowed to have a bad day.

But also, yes, my advice to working, breastfeeding moms: EAT HEARTILY. Seriously! Get SOMETHING for breakfast, and a good lunch, every day. And drink lots of water. It really helps keep your supply, and your spirits, up.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.