Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Lesser" known galactagogues

Default Re: "Lesser" known galactagogues

Oh right! & The "green glop" as my husband so elequently puts it ha ha-
    Caraway seeds, ground or finely chopped
    Aniseed (not star anise, be very careful as this is bad for nursing mums I hear ) and you just make however much you feel like it really-I usually make about 1/4 cup of caraway seed with a large tsp of aniseed. Cinnamon can also make it taste nice and you just add some water (how much I honestly don't know, I just gradually add it until it reaches a consistancy that I like-but the consistancy is all a matter of preference really) and let it simmer for 10-15 min and then add in some brown sugar and when we have them around the house I also like to crunch up a cookie or two over the top
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Where can you buy aniseed? I'd like to try this also!
    Mom to Gabriel Christian
    Born June 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm
    8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/2 inches long

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygabriel View Post
    Where can you buy aniseed? I'd like to try this also!
    I get mine on eBay, it comes from the States and I only pay about $2 USD for an amount that lasts me a couple of months...and the international shipping was well cheap last time I bought it so I imagine it's a steal intercontinental!

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997

Great - thank you! Sometimes I get nervous about buying this kind of stuff on ebay, but I take it you've had good results, so that's good
    Mom to Gabriel Christian
    Born June 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm
    8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/2 inches long

You can buy aniseed from any bulk herb store. The one I linked had it, and there's a couple others with organic aniseed.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygabriel View Post
    Great - thank you! Sometimes I get nervous about buying this kind of stuff on ebay, but I take it you've had good results, so that's good
    I never buy from anyone unless they have a 100% positive feedback score. I'm a seller on there for instance and it isn't unreasonable to ship the correct items out in good condition in a timely matter and be polite...that's usually all it takes to earn it so if they have anything less you know they're more than likely at fault (esp since you can have eBay help you dispute it if it seems unfair).

http://www.wishgardenherbs.com/index...ncy&group_id=7

I've only been trying the Goat's rue for a week but it seems to be helping a lot. I'm noticing fast letdown and more milk production because I'm using less supplement.

I have to say, i tried fenugreek, blessed thistle, and fennel with no noticeable increase in supply. The only other thing that helped (but only for one feeding in my case) was drinking half a bottle of stout beer. I have tried a Shatavari tincture (herb pharm) but i didnt see much change and i guess that works better for moms who have underlying problems with their reproductive system, for example mom's with PCOS. But if anyone has tried it, does it work better in capsules? Where did you buy it from?

I also pump 7 times a day but since the Goat's Rue has been helping maybe i could wean off the pump sooner than i expected.

That's the one I have. Also have and love the Happy Ducts formula.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    That's the one I have. Also have and love the Happy Ducts formula.
    I love that visual

Hrmm. Went to buy Shatavari and a few links, including lowmilksupply.com, said not to take with domperidone. I have no intention of stopping my magic pills, so I'll have to find something else, maybe the WishGarden tincture.

Basically, I get to pick one milk-making thing to buy a week , just to keep my wallet in check.

Things are going well over here! Just SO impatient to get rid of the formula!

I mostly wanted to post that about the Shatavari in case anyone else reads this.