Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Lesser" known galactagogues

Default Re: "Lesser" known galactagogues

I swear that fresh carrot juice used to raise my supply. I used to EP with DS1, so if I had extra milk I would notice. Another mom on here posted the same thing a looooong time ago on here, so it's not just me who noticed. Good luck with everything!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I forgot...juicy fruits likes oranges seemed to help me, too.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Aniseed (NOT Star anise, very important)
    Carum carvi (Caraway)
    Rooibos tea
    Milk thistle

I've tried a lot of things but those are all the most effective for me, they work really well. I am exclusively ed breastmilk feeding a 5 month old that drinks around 33 oz a day AND my husband has a full "feed" from my breasts 1-2x a day as well...and I relactated from scratch, and by that I mean a completely dried up milk supply (post crummy birth experience that meddled wth breastfeeding). I write down every oz I make as well so it's accurate. Also, sleep in naps rather than long periods and drink LOTS of water. GOOD LUCK!
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Aniseed (NOT Star anise, very important)
    Carum carvi (Caraway)
    Rooibos tea
    Milk thistle
    What form did you take those in tarantamom? (Except the tea, since that is. . .tea)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*samiha View Post
    I swear that fresh carrot juice used to raise my supply. I used to EP with DS1, so if I had extra milk I would notice. Another mom on here posted the same thing a looooong time ago on here, so it's not just me who noticed. Good luck with everything!
    Did you make the carrot juice? I don't have a juicer. Nor have I ever had carrot juice. But hey, the little lovie is worth it! He did get me to like oatmeal. . .

And hahaha it sounds like I will be clearing out the health food store today.

By fresh carrot juice I just mean refrigerated and not in a can on the unrefrigerated shelf. I think in most stores you can find it in the produce section along with a bunch of other juices and smoothies. If you are near a Jamba Juice you can also get it there by the glass.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    What form did you take those in tarantamom? (Except the tea, since that is. . .tea)
    W/ the aniseed & carum carvi. I found this really, REALLY, amaaazziinnngg product that boosted my milk supply like and it had those ingredients in them and so I just sort of "roughly" copy the recipe by boiling them in hot water and natural brown sugar to taste, garnish with some nuts or sth. The caraway makes a grits-like meal. It tastes awful if you don't sweeten it but if you put some brown sugar it is lovely I think.
    http://milkflow.co.uk
    Request a sample-Don't worry that it doesn't take you to the payment part after you request the sample, the site hasn't been updated but the lady who runs it doesn't charge for shipping. I got to know her a bit and she is really lovely and sent me quite a bit of this stuff for free when I was having troubles building myself up...I feel like I owe her half my son's weight in gold that's how much her recipe helped!! It takes anywhere from 4 to 48 hours to work I would say but the effects last for up to a week. For me, I ate a bowl and had over night success...the next day I made about 3-4 extra ounces (from an average of 4-5 oz before I started eating it) and I would eat it about once every 5-6 days. Did it a few times and I still eat it here and again just to maintain (and I crave it, for whatever reason!)

I have a jar by my bedside that, when it's empty, I refill with:
    3 heaping tablespoons ground aniseed
    1 tablespoon raspberry leaf (this is another one I forgot to mention, sorry!)
    2 teaspoons milk thistle
    1/4 teaspoon fenugreek

The jar is about twice the size of the mixture (about 50g or so size jar) and so I just fill it up and then shake it vigorously with the lid shut tightly to mix it, then I pack size "00" empty vegetarian capsules with it and I take 1 with every meal or snack (dont take on an empty tummy as it may make you nauseous...and DON'T take it when you have diarrhoea as it will irritate this lol) and I drink 1-2 cups of the rooibos tea every day and a caraway/aniseed meal every 2 weeks I'd say Does good!

Lecithin also seems to help if youhave clogged ducts as it does something or other to "wick" the milk out of the ducts and therefore I seem to get more out by taking 1200 mg 2x/day...but if you don't have that problem I don't know how much of a difference it would make.
    All of these are generally regarded as safe for baby, but the reason I don't take high amounts of fenugreek is because it is known to give babies upset tummies when mums take it in higher doses.
    Last edited by @llli*tarantamom; April 9th, 2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: needed to add something that I forgot!

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997

Thanks for the awesome reply, tarantamom!

I did end up going, but the prices on everything is just SO overwhelming. . .I ended up with another bottle of More Milk Plus, brewer's yeast, and carrot juice. I'd like to make some lactation cookies. I REALLY want the shatavari, but they didn't have it, and I CANNOT spend any more. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

I wish there was somewhere where you could buy herbs in bulk around here! The place around here was selling rather large bags and I want to make sure it helps first, you know? Maybe I'm just way too cheap, but I've spent at least $200 on all these potions.

I saw that stuff on another thread- unfortunately they don't ship to the United States!

I am amazed at the amount of effort you put into making your own capsules! I feel practically lazy

Thanks for all the help though!!! We shall see how it goes

No problem, I'm just glad I can help!
    My reasons for being here after all: 1/3 to help other Mamas, 1/3 to be helped by other Mamas, and 1/3 for just plain old good company

What is it that you're looking for that you can't get in the United States? I have to say I'm a bit surprised whatever it is-I used to live there and the amount of herbs and tinctures that you CAN'T get elsewhere is quite impressive.
    As far as money goes, have you tried checking eBay? That's where I buy all my stuff from and I spend the equivilant of about $15 USD every month on my galactagogues in total by buying the herbs from small farmers in bulk.

The milkflow sachets. She e-mailed me and said it only ships in the UK.

Thanks for the tips, I didn't even think of ebay.

Now that I'm thinking about it. . .will I *eventually* have enough milk if I keep pumping like a fiend and keep up with the domperidone? Just curious.

And agreed tarantamom on the good company everyone on here is so helpful and nice and supportive.

Mm...that's a shame How much milk are you producing a day if you don't mind my asking?

For the capsules, by the way, you can get these filling machines that cut off tons of time and effort...and if you do it this way you don't have t buy your herbs @ the shops anymore which saves tons of money
    Have a look if you're interested:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Capsule-Machin...item20b67e5288