Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Lesser" known galactagogues

Default Lesser "known" galactagogues

Was wondering if anyone has used a lesser known galactagogue to increase their milk supply (ie Not domperidone, Reglan, Mother's Milk Teo, Motherlove, Fenugreek, blessed thistle, etc).

I ordered some brewer's yeast, but I am wondering about an oxytocin nasal spray (mentioned in another thread), shatavari, and a New Zealand product called "naturopharm milk flow spray". Or anything else that worked for you that is way out of the ordinary.

I am taking domperidone now, as well as occasional Mother's Milk Tea. Currently out of More milk Plus and have been neglecting the fenugreek because it seems pretty useless.

Just curious if there is a strange "unknown" product out there.

I'm EPing and currently at 13 oz (from 4 oz 2.5 months ago). How great would it be if I could get it high enough to make formula negligible?! Just have to double what I have now!

And obviously I know pumping is the most important thing, but I have maxed out the number of sessions I can do in a day.

Btw thanks so much for all your help both with the mechanics AND the emotions this journey is taking me so far.
    Last edited by @llli*katia11; April 19th, 2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Misplaced quotations

Default Re: "Lesser" known galactagogues

In addition to fenugreek, I also used alfalfa for milk production, and fennel for letdown. There is some good info here www.lowmilksupply.org
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I have a whole list.

BTW, last I checked, the nasal oxytocin is not available. I had a mom with IGT I suggested it too, and she couldn't find it. When she asked her MW, the MW said it is not available. You could ask, or you might find it in Canada.

alfalfa (avoid if you have any autoimmune diseases)
    red raspberry leaf
    shatavari -- may work as well as domperidone!
    anise (NOT star of anise)
    borage OIL -- it also enriches your milk
    caraway seed
    vitex (chasteberry)
    dandelion leaves -- helps bring in a new mom's milk
    dillseed
    fennel
    goat's rue
    marshmallow root -- helps with milk ejection
    milk thistle
    nettle
    oat straw
    oats -- like oatmeal
    red clover
    saw palmetto -- might help duct formation
    vervain -- historically used in the EU and by Native Americans

NOTE: if you might be pregnant, check herb safety first. Some may cause miscarriage, like fenugreek, blessed thistle and vervain

There's a tincture from Wishgarden Herbs you might find useful.

The other thing to know...some women find tinctures and teas useful, while others find the herbs more beneficial in other forms. You have to experiment a bit to find what works best for you.

Regarding the pumping, make sure you have a hospital grade pump, pump effectively and efficiently, and pump about every 2 hours. I'm sure you know that, but just in case someone ever googles this.

A peek at the book The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk might be helpful for you. It is an LLL book, so it would be in the store here, or they have it on Amazon.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for the replies

Susan that is an awesome list!

I'm also asking for personal experiences. . .I'm heading to a vitamin store tomorrow and figured I'd clear them out, but one can only take so many pills a day especially since these seem so expensive.

I remember, Susan, that you mentioned the marshmallow for yourself. I'm wondering about it because even though I'm making more, it is taking longer and longer for things to "get going" and it's kind of painful before it does that, especially when I'm using a hand pump (only when I have a couple minutes in between class, rest is hospital grade pump).

The nasal spray I was looking at . . .http://www.babywebsite.us/shopping_cart.php?language=en

(and I have found the oxytocin spray available somewhere, but I probably wouldn't buy it, especially without ancedotal evidence that it works)

One concern I had when I was looking was that alot of things are said to "support" breastfeeding. This sounds pretty vague.

Thanks for the list- if Shatavari is supposed to be that awesome, I'll totally consider it.

Feeling so hopeful! Only 18 oz to go! hahaha

I was really surprised at the increase in my milk after eating sprouts on my sandwiches for a couple days. They were deli sprouts which had a blend of fenugreek, alfalfa, and something else.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Copied from my posts on two other threads today:

From this thread:

There's this stuff called malunggay (moringa) leaf powder. It was one option recommended to me (the other option was domperidone) by Dr. Jack Newman for my low supply. I've been taking it and it *seems* to help (I can't be 100% sure though because I was taking fenugreek and Mother's Milk Tea and did some power pumping also).

The good thing about it is that it seems harmless and VERY nutritious anyway. You can try googling for some info.

If you do decide to try it, you most likely should go for the capsules. The powder tastes extremely YUCK to me
    From this thread:

Malunggay (Moringa) leaf powder is another galactagogue.

I've been mentioning this in quite a few threads on here lately. I'm NOT a marketer of these product . It's just something I learned of and started trying recently. A nice thing about it is that it *seems* to be nutritious, too.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    Thanks for the replies

Susan that is an awesome list!

I'm also asking for personal experiences. . .I'm heading to a vitamin store tomorrow and figured I'd clear them out, but one can only take so many pills a day especially since these seem so expensive.

I remember, Susan, that you mentioned the marshmallow for yourself. I'm wondering about it because even though I'm making more, it is taking longer and longer for things to "get going" and it's kind of painful before it does that, especially when I'm using a hand pump (only when I have a couple minutes in between class, rest is hospital grade pump).

The nasal spray I was looking at . . .http://www.babywebsite.us/shopping_cart.php?language=en

(and I have found the oxytocin spray available somewhere, but I probably wouldn't buy it, especially without ancedotal evidence that it works)

One concern I had when I was looking was that alot of things are said to "support" breastfeeding. This sounds pretty vague.

Thanks for the list- if Shatavari is supposed to be that awesome, I'll totally consider it.

Feeling so hopeful! Only 18 oz to go! hahaha
    I use a tea when I feel that I need a little boost. I went to an herb store and got dried herbs:
    nettle
    blessed thistle
    RRL
    anise
    marshmallow root
    alfalfa

I just had them mix 1/4 to 1/2 oz amounts together in the bag. I used less anise and marshmallow than nettle and alfalfa. I add in a Mother's Milk Tea bag when I make it, as they were out of fenugreek that day, and it just gives me a little extra oomph. I drink a big cup in the morning when I haven't been able to pump my usual amount overnight. Steep your teas properly for maximum effectiveness.

And then I will use a tincture with goat's rue and some other stuff in it that I got from Wishgarden Herbs in it for an additional boost, like when I was super sick and my supply tanked. Tastes terrible though.

I eat a big bowl of oatmeal every morning. But I like oatmeal anyway.

And then I did make some super duper DF lactation cookies with oatmeal and coconut in them; the coconut, full of medium chain fatty acids, is supposed to enrich milk. I used shortening instead of butter. Ate those when I was trying to come back from being sick.

Shatavari only comes in capsule form, IIRC, and it's rather expensive for an herb, but it's got to be less of a hassle to get than domperidone.

Herbs can only say they support BFing because they don't have FDA testing to prove their efficacy.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Oatmeal
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Did you share the recipe for your super duper lactation cookies? They sound good!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I should. I never did write it down. But I could probably recreate it pretty easily. And yeah, they were awesome. I had to fight the kids off, and they HATE coconut

ETA: in Feeding Your Family forum. Tweak as necessary.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; April 8th, 2011 at 08:56 PM.
    Susan