Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8mo old and recent reduced production

Default 8mo old and recent reduced production

Hi
    I have been BF my LO for 8 months now...along with solids of course. I have never had a problem with supply more than less as day goes on than in the morning. However, the last week or so I am not getting as full. Spring has begun and with that I get some mild allergies. With this I have been blowing my nose, throat is dry and feeling dehydrated. I am upping the water intake a lot, but not seeming to quench the thirst. Usually if I pump I can get 4-5 oz and the last two days I have tried to pump one feeding and can barely get out 1.5oz. Sometimes I am not even sure if I am feeling the let down and usually I always do. I don't want to starting giving formula......any suggestions. I can't think of anything else, aside from the allergy/dehydrated feeling that has changed. Also started bleeding(period) today for first time since I was pregnant...is this the cart of the horse? Result of slowed production or period and that slowing production?

Thanks

Default Re: 8mo old and recent reduced production

I always notice a major dip in supply before my period starts (for a bout a week) and then it goes right back up a couple of days into my period. I started taking fenugreek the week before my period begins tohelp with supply during that time.

Also - are you taking anything for your allergies? antihystamines (sp, sorry!) can slow production quite a bit.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Thanks for your reply. I took Benadryl a few times, but not consistently and no more than 1 per day. I noticed today when I pumped, as I do on occasion about once per day, that I have more hind milk. The last few days it has been mostly fore milk and I haven't been feeling the let down. Hopefully it has been my period and it will go up from here. I will try the Fenugreek.

When i take benadryl, even one, I notice pretty quickly (like that day) that my supply is lower.

But i'll bet your supply goes back up in the next couple of days.

If you're going to try fenugreek -- I found that I just need to take it that one week, not all month. so 4 pills 3x a day just until my period started.

So do you think since my period started that I should not bother taking the fenugreek? I can't seem to find anything online describing the herb in regards to when to take it in the menstruation cycle, but rather that it increases production.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*claytonsmom View Post
    So do you think since my period started that I should not bother taking the fenugreek? I can't seem to find anything online describing the herb in regards to when to take it in the menstruation cycle, but rather that it increases production.
    I don't think the fenugreek could hurt, but you may not need it. My supply always dips before my period, and then recovers a day or two later. So I bet yours will recover very soon.

For whatever it's worth, benedryl and sudafed, etc., affect different people differently. I've always been able to take a decongestant here or there with no problems or noticeable change in supply. One reason those drugs can cause a drop in supply is that they dehydrate you, so you can try to counteract them by drinking a ton of water. Some women notice more of a dip than others, but by eight months postpartum, any dip you experience should be temporary, and if your baby is nursing regularly, you'll recover quickly.

It feels like I'm sick all the time, all winter long, since Joe catches everything and then passes it on to us - it would have been really hard for me to continue breastfeeding as long as I have if I hadn't been able to occasionally take something for some relief when I was really sick.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

How is your LO reacting to the new supply situation? If he seems happy, and is producing adequate wet diapers, it's possible that what you're seeing is normal evening out of supply. Most women reach a point where supply more or less = demand, without a lot of extra left over. This typically happens well before 8 months, though.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I don't think the fenugreek could hurt, but you may not need it. My supply always dips before my period, and then recovers a day or two later. So I bet yours will recover very soon.

For whatever it's worth, benedryl and sudafed, etc., affect different people differently. I've always been able to take a decongestant here or there with no problems or noticeable change in supply. One reason those drugs can cause a drop in supply is that they dehydrate you, so you can try to counteract them by drinking a ton of water. Some women notice more of a dip than others, but by eight months postpartum, any dip you experience should be temporary, and if your baby is nursing regularly, you'll recover quickly.

It feels like I'm sick all the time, all winter long, since Joe catches everything and then passes it on to us - it would have been really hard for me to continue breastfeeding as long as I have if I hadn't been able to occasionally take something for some relief when I was really sick.
    i totally agree with all of this! i wasn't saying by any means that i don't treat my symptoms, just that i notice a temporary fluctuation in supply if i do take say nyquil or sudafed or benadryl. i don't do it regularly (of course!) but i do treat symptoms because it makes us all less miserable. It's nothing permanent if you don't take anyting consistently, sorry if it sounded otherwise.

I've realized that my supply does not respond drastically to water consumption, and that's really why i relied on fenugreek - but i would agree that if your period's already started it may be late/not worth it to start. I was recommending for the next time around, assuming your dip in supply is in fact the return of your period (you'll know that within a day or two, if your supply returns to what it was)

Thanks Ladies
    I will be patient and wait a day or two and see what happens. My baby hasn't been fussy, but I have been able to use a little stored milk too. I have also upped the solids a little to compensate. I usually pump every other day so that if I miss a feeding my husband who works from home( I leave Clayton if she's napping and I need to head out with 3 yr old) can feed the baby until I get home. The last few days the pumped milk has been about 1.5 oz and is usually 4-5oz. It has also been pretty watery...like only foremilk. Today when I pumped I saw more hind milk and felt the usual stronger let-down, but still not the same volume. Hopefully that means things are-a-changin'.