Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Domperidone, 3hrly pumping and STILL only 10mls each side each time..

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sunny England
    Posts
    175

    Default Domperidone, 3hrly pumping and STILL only 10mls each side each time..

    I think the topic says it all. Is there anything else I can do? I'm also taking Fenugreek but as I found before, it never really helped. I recently received my pumpin' pals shields and I've been using them, but I still see no increase in my supply. It's depressing! I've been at this so long now I would have thought SOMETHING would have changed! Suggestions and questions welcome.

    Jarred - 12/June/2007 - BF for 3 months - stopped due to medical reasons
    Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    We , , and too, but we're having problems..
    EPING for 3 months and counting!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    18,063

    Default Re: Domperidone, 3hrly pumping and STILL only 10mls each side each time..

    how old is baby?
    are they at the breast any?
    able to nurse and remove any milk?

    are you counting diapars?
    supplimenting?

    back to work?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sunny England
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: Domperidone, 3hrly pumping and STILL only 10mls each side each time..

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    how old is baby?
    are they at the breast any?
    able to nurse and remove any milk?

    are you counting diapars?
    supplimenting?

    back to work?
    In order:
    10months, 2 weeks
    Not at all. Full on nursing strike as said in my sig
    No..
    No..
    Yes on health visitor (who I DISPISE) advice (she works 'baby first, mother second')
    I am a 24/7 domestic engineer.. meaning I have two children under the age of 4, one who has borderline autism and one who is hyperactive and I'm a washed out mum bearly able to get through the day without tears (thanks to teh added stress of pumping every chance I get)..

    Any other questions?

    Jarred - 12/June/2007 - BF for 3 months - stopped due to medical reasons
    Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    We , , and too, but we're having problems..
    EPING for 3 months and counting!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    20,842

    Default Re: Domperidone, 3hrly pumping and STILL only 10mls each side each time..

    Mama, I'm so sorry you haven't gotten the big supply bump you've been hoping for. I forget if I've asked you this already but, any chance of
    - thyroid problems?
    - PCOS?
    - pregnancy?
    - issues stemming from use of hormonal birth control?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    3,133

    Default Re: Domperidone, 3hrly pumping and STILL only 10mls each side each time..

    Sorry for more questions but I was wondering how long you have been taking Dom and what dosage you are taking?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

    Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09


    Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

    Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sunny England
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: Domperidone, 3hrly pumping and STILL only 10mls each side each time..

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Mama, I'm so sorry you haven't gotten the big supply bump you've been hoping for. I forget if I've asked you this already but, any chance of
    - thyroid problems?
    - PCOS?
    - pregnancy?
    - issues stemming from use of hormonal birth control?
    Never had my thyroid checked - that I can remember anyway.
    Don't know what PCOS is. I figure if I don't know what it is, I either don't have it, or I have it and it is undiagnosed. Will research it tonight.
    DEFO not pregnant! That's what started this whole business off in the first place. I had a 'period' 10 days after it should have been due that was VERY heavy and lasted about a week and a half. TMI? Sorry. I suspect a misscarriage.
    I'm not on birth control as the hormone used in most birth control methods make me suicidal.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    Sorry for more questions but I was wondering how long you have been taking Dom and what dosage you are taking?
    I've been taking Dom for 8 days now and my doc told me to take 1 tablet 3 times a day, which works out as 10mg 3 times a day. I discovered the day after I started that the dosage was not nearly enough, so I doubled it. Still not enough? What's the recommended dosage?

    Jarred - 12/June/2007 - BF for 3 months - stopped due to medical reasons
    Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    We , , and too, but we're having problems..
    EPING for 3 months and counting!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    18,063

    Default Re: Domperidone, 3hrly pumping and STILL only 10mls each side each time..

    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

    you might find some info you could use here...

    How much suppliment are you giving in 24 hours?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    3,133

    Default Re: Domperidone, 3hrly pumping and STILL only 10mls each side each time..

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bbmomma View Post
    I've been taking Dom for 8 days now and my doc told me to take 1 tablet 3 times a day, which works out as 10mg 3 times a day. I discovered the day after I started that the dosage was not nearly enough, so I doubled it. Still not enough? What's the recommended dosage?
    If your supply is extremely low, you still might not be taking enough dom, mama. I am no medical doctor, so you will probably want to clear it with your doc first before increasing dosage, but when I was nursing my first baby I took domperidone and I took 3 pills 3 times per day, so it worked out to 30mg, 3x per day. Dr. Jack Newman has a domperidone protocol on his website that you might want to check out, if you haven't already.

    http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Dom...%20Started.asp

    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

    Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09


    Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

    Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sunny England
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: Domperidone, 3hrly pumping and STILL only 10mls each side each time..

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

    you might find some info you could use here...

    How much suppliment are you giving in 24 hours?
    Thanks for the link. I believe I've read it before, but I'm reading through it again to refresh my memory as it tends to be rather on the crappy side lately.. Stress I think.

    DD has a total of 6 bottles of formula in 24 hrs, and they are only 4oz bottles. She is also eating about 3 or 4 small meals a day as she seems to have lost her appatite lately. Haven't figured that one out yet. She's become very clingy too.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    If your supply is extremely low, you still might not be taking enough dom, mama. I am no medical doctor, so you will probably want to clear it with your doc first before increasing dosage, but when I was nursing my first baby I took domperidone and I took 3 pills 3 times per day, so it worked out to 30mg, 3x per day. Dr. Jack Newman has a domperidone protocol on his website that you might want to check out, if you haven't already.

    http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Dom...%20Started.asp

    I thought I wasn't having enough. I looked and looked on these forums for posts relating to Domperidone but couldn't really find one that was close enough to my situation to be sure about the correct dosage. My doctor is CLUELESS when it comes to bfing. He told me it wasn't possible to get thrush on the nipples..... Both DD and I had thrush for ages until I managed to print a page from the LLLQ&A book and then put it infront of him. I also had to tell him what dose and what med to give me. Ah well. He asked me this time to tell him if the Dom worked, so I'll go back in a few days to get more and tell him it does work, but only at a much higher dose. Hopefully he can prescribe me more...

    Thanks ladies for your help. I seem to be making a bit of headway here.

    Ooh, Mommal, I wanted to ask something. Could it be that I'll get more milk overall at the end of the day if I pump for longer, but only every 4 hours? I seem to get loads at the 3 hour mark, but if I pump between I get hardly anything.. Just wondering. I know it's all about stimulation, which I'm doing loads of (well as much as I can without looking odd, walking down the road massaging my breasts). Just wondered.

    Jarred - 12/June/2007 - BF for 3 months - stopped due to medical reasons
    Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    We , , and too, but we're having problems..
    EPING for 3 months and counting!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    20,842

    Default Re: Domperidone, 3hrly pumping and STILL only 10mls each side each time..

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bbmomma View Post
    Could it be that I'll get more milk overall at the end of the day if I pump for longer, but only every 4 hours? I seem to get loads at the 3 hour mark, but if I pump between I get hardly anything.. Just wondering. I know it's all about stimulation, which I'm doing loads of (well as much as I can without looking odd, walking down the road massaging my breasts). Just wondered.
    Anything is possible. A lot of moms notice a short term bump in supply when they go longer between pumps, but in general the long term effect of allowing the milk to build up in the breast is counterproductive. Milk production has a built-in feedback system. The more milk sits in the breast, and the longer it sits there, the more your body gets the message to reduce production. The less milk there is in the breast, and the more frequently it is removed, the more the body gets the message to increase production.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •