Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: low milk flow today?

Unhappy low milk flow today?

My daughter is one month old and just started nursing at 2 1/2 weeks of age. Her latch is not perfect yet but she has been nursing well for the past week and a half. My breast have been pretty full and she has been emptying them at each feeding until today. I have been a little sick the past two days and today when I woke up my breast were soft. I have been nursing her all day but each time she acts hungry afterwords. I offer her expressed milk and she takes about 60 mL (2 ounces) which makes me think she is not getting enough milk. I'm not sure what happened but it seems like overnight I lost the ability to produce milk. I also feel very dehydrated and I am drinking as much water as possible - about 2 glasses per hour. I do not want to loose the ability to nurse when I just got my little one nursing (after quite a long struggle). Will my supply come back? Is this because I am a little sick (no fever just congested)?
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: low milk flow today?

Hi there!

Is your baby feeding more frequently than usual? It could be a growth spurt. It's hard to say if this is due to illness or not, but you should eat a healthy diet, drink to thirst (don't force it) and get plenty of rest. Your baby is very young, so you could just take her to bed with you and rest and let her nurse as often as she likes.

Most babies will suck on a bottle when it is offered, so the fact that she took the supplement doesn't necessarily mean that she's still hungry. It just means she's sucking on something that was put in her mouth. Also, if you're giving her supplements of any kind, then you need to add in a pumping session to make up for the time that she didn't take at the breast.

The best way to tell if your baby is getting enough to eat is to watch her wet and dirty diapers. If she's got at least 5-6 wet disposable diapers (6-8 cloth) and 2-3 yellow bowel movements (size of a US quarter or larger) per 24 hours, then she's getting enough. She should also be coming to the breast at least 8-12 times per 24 hour period.

If you think there really is a supply problem, the best thing to do is to just let her nurse, nurse, nurse. Short, frequent nursing sessions will remove the milk from your breasts and signal your body to make more. Supplementing can lead to a vicious cycle that will deplete your supply even more.

Hang in there! Hope you feel better soon!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!