Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying to nurse in sling

Default Trying to nurse in sling

I just can't figure out how to nurse my 11week old in the sling. He's eating constantly and it's so hard to leave the house or to spend time with my 2 year old and I think this would help so I can nurse on the go. I have a Maya wrap and also an ergo and a Moby. In the Maya wrap I just can't get his head supported properly. I've watched you tube videos but just can't get it right. Any suggestions or good resources?

Default Re: Trying to nurse in sling

I don't have a sling but I have an Ergo and a Moby wrap. I use the Moby wrap with my 5 month old DD. I too watched the YouTube videos and couldn't figure it out. I thought it was pointless to use a special way to wrap your LO then 15 minutes have to upwrap to change sides.. so I didn't bother. Then the other night I was at the store with my DH and DS's and didn't want to sit on a bench with my LO for a half an hour so I figured I'd try. I had her already in the Moby wrap in her normal position, she was sitting low enough that I just threw on my nursing cover and leaned forward a little bit to get her latched on (I had on a shirt that I could pull down so I didn't have to expose my stomach/sides) I am one that always has to hold my boob when I'm feeding her, even at home sitting on the couch with a boppy pillow IDK if that is normal or not. But that's what we did, when you are done with one side you can easily switch sides. Hope that helps explain it..
    I'm a homeschooling, , mom!

4/21/04 9lbs1oz FF due to hospital sabotage
    3/16/07 10lbs3oz FF bc of severe weight loss, lack of support
    11/02/10 7lbs14oz BF , supplemented 3oz formula/day for first 3 months due to supply issues. Now she's on all mommy's milk!

This is exactly why I love my mei tai! Compared to the moby, I found it's so much easier to adjust the straps of my mei tai to lower LO for nursing. With practice, you might even be able to nurse hands-free walking around grocery shopping!
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

I have a baby-Go and my daily walk is not complete without LO nursing while me and Mom walk down the street.

I think its just a matter of getting nipple to mouth. Forget the rules.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I have a balboa wrap which looks similar to your Maya wrap. I also have a friend that has the ergo and moby

I do think that you will need to experiment to find out which nursing position works best for you but i can tell you how I nursed my LO in my sling:

At 11 weeks it worked the best to have her in the cradle position with her head on the same side as the rings. Then you can adjust how much fabric you want covering him if you want to be discreet. After nursing her in the sling, which was a lifesaver for me to be able to leave the house, and she usually fell asleep at that age, I could easily move her so her head was on my shoulder, her belly on my chest, I would tighten the sling and I would finish what I needed to do.

As she has gotten older, the positioning has changed a bit. Now I nurse her with her head on the side opposite the rings, and her feet stick out the end. It's also a little easier to carry them when they can really hold their head up well. Once my DD was about 4 months old, i started wearing her kangaroo style (with her facing out like a kangaroo) and she loved it! She's almost 6 months old now and that's still her fave way to sit in the sling.

Ive seen my friend simply loosen the front straps on the moby and put her LO in the cradle position to breastfeed. Her LO is the exact same age as mine (1 day apart:-) and she wore him in the hip carry position in the ergo (which you can probably do after 5 months old) and she nurses him that way in the store. Not discreet, but he got fed :-)

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions let me know. Learning how to nurse in the sling is the only thing that got me out of the house...especially in the earlier months :-)
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

Thanks everyone! I tried in the Moby today and he nursed....didn't look pretty but at least he was on, and fell back to sleep. I still had to support his head entirely with my hand. I can't get his head right in any of the carriers. Maybe he just needs better head control. I'd love to get a mei tai but being down to only dh's income, we just can't afford one. Ill try again in the sling, I've been puttin his head on the opposite side from the rings like the you tube videos told me!