Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: tingling sensations

Default tingling sensations

Hi, everyone. I've been having some tingling sensations in my breast that shoots down to my nipples. It feels slightly electrified and slightly painful. It happens in both breasts simultaneously when I am not nursing. It's random and seems to occur when I have gone a while without nursing, like when baby is napping. Could this be a sign of something wrong? Thanks.
    I'm a first-time mother to my baby girl, who was born on Jan 11, 2011

Say NO to GMO breast milk. Please read and take action: http://organicconsumers.org/bytes/ob271.htm

Default Re: tingling sensations

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pinkie12 View Post
    Hi, everyone. I've been having some tingling sensations in my breast that shoots down to my nipples. It feels slightly electrified and slightly painful. It happens in both breasts simultaneously when I am not nursing. It's random and seems to occur when I have gone a while without nursing, like when baby is napping. Could this be a sign of something wrong? Thanks.
    I doubt it. It's probably just a letdown sensation. Let down often tingles or aches. But just so you know, if it burns or you feel shooting, acute pain, that's a sign of thrush.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I get this BAD when I'm at work. Let down pains is what I've come up with - I don't get them any other time.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Yep, sounds like let-down

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I had this so intensely for the first few months of breastfeeding that I'd sometimes double over in pain. Like, make-me-cry kind of pain. At 6.5 months I sometimes feel it just a little bit, but the intensity is much less. I do think different moms experience it differently, and some not at all. Hopefully, if it's painful, it will get better over time.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizziesmom View Post
    I had this so intensely for the first few months of breastfeeding that I'd sometimes double over in pain. Like, make-me-cry kind of pain. At 6.5 months I sometimes feel it just a little bit, but the intensity is much less. I do think different moms experience it differently, and some not at all. Hopefully, if it's painful, it will get better over time.
    My pet theory, which has been backed up on these forums, is that women with OALD tend to have more painful letdowns, because the milk ejection is just more forceful. I would get letdown sensation so intense, they sent a shiver down my spine. They were an intense dull ache. I kept thinking I had a fever, because it was so much like the "aches and pains" you get with the flu.

It definitely got better over time, and now I can barely feel my letdowns, and only every once in a while.

But I also had thrush, and that was a different animal. Searing, burning, shooting pain with letdown, plus super sore nipples.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    My pet theory, which has been backed up on these forums, is that women with OALD tend to have more painful letdowns, because the milk ejection is just more forceful. I would get letdown sensation so intense, they sent a shiver down my spine. They were an intense dull ache. I kept thinking I had a fever, because it was so much like the "aches and pains" you get with the flu.

It definitely got better over time, and now I can barely feel my letdowns, and only every once in a while.

But I also had thrush, and that was a different animal. Searing, burning, shooting pain with letdown, plus super sore nipples.
    I agree - I had OALD, and, especially in the early days, would experience a deep tingling sensation with a bit of pain when starting to nurse, or when going for a longer period without nursing. Sometimes I would get it when admiring or thinking about my baby, or hearing a baby cry. The sensation has definitely dulled over the past month or two (DS is 3.5 mths). In my experience, other sources of pain (thrush, BD, etc.) are different beasts altogether (in my case, felt more like deep, sharp, burning/stabby pain).