Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - Dr recommended formula for 2 weeks :(

Default Help - Dr recommended formula for 2 weeks :(

Sorry for the long post (again) but I'm so confused and upset...

I've been having some allergy issues with my 3 month old son. We discovered (or I discovered, since most drs are very dismissive about a mom's concerns) at 2 weeks that my son has an allergy or sensitivity to dairy. I've been pretty much off dairy since then (I tried re-introducing it a few times, but have been completely dairy-free for almost 2 months now), and my son's symptoms improved drastically. Now suddenly he's been having green mucusy stool for like 2 weeks, and the last few days I noticed a TINY amount of blood in a few of his diapers. I'm thinking it might be a soy allergy, and a lot of the dairy-free things I've been eating seem to have soy instead of dairy.

I just took him in to the doctor (who I like for the most part) to rule out an infection or viral bug because of the blood. He ordered a stool sample, but then also told me that some babies are just allergic to breastmilk. SOOO, he gave me 2 cans of alimentum formula and told me to feed my son formula for the next 2 weeks to see if there's any improvement. He said in the meantime to cut out soy and any other major allergens from my diet, keep pumping to keep my supply up, and then in 2 weeks I can try breastfeeding again and see how my son reacts.

I am so upset. First of all, I would never want to do anything that would harm my son or cause him any sort of discomfort. So, if the formula is in fact best for him, I would of course switch over. My concerns, though, are that after 2 weeks of pumping my supply will probably be affected (I have a medela swing single electric pump and can't afford to buy a better pump in the event that in 2 weeks we discover he's still having a reaction to my milk). Also, after 2 weeks of being formula fed from a bottle, I worry that my son (who's been EBF to this point) will not want to nurse anymore. And lastly, when babies have allergies, isn't breastmilk the best thing for them???

I'm so confused and upset, and I feel like a failure. I'm willing to cut everything out of my diet and figure out what is causing my son's reactions, but I didn't think I would have to stop breastfeeding in the meantime. I don't know how to decide what to do... Should I follow the dr's instructions? Or should I continue to bf while doing an elimination diet? I just don't want to continue bf if it's hurting my son. Ughhh... Please, any moms that have been through similar situations, I would really appreciate your insight.

Default Re: Help - Dr recommended formula for 2 weeks :(

Can you see another Dr? I don't trust this one. I don't think he knows enough about BFing if he is recommending formula.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

can you repost this in the allegy forum? that will give the allergy mamas a heads up to come on over...
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I have never heard of a baby being allergic to breast milk, sensitive to some of the foods mom is eating yes, but allergic to breast milk in general, no. If I were you I would try an elimination diet. My brother actually has severe food allergies and my mom breastfed him. She finally had to eliminate all common food allergens from her diet and slowly add them back in to see if there was a reaction. Ultimately it turned out my brother was allergic to dairy and wheat. I would maybe see another doctor and see if you can work something out where you are still nursing while resolving this issue. Good luck!

I would not stop breastfeeding based on the info you've given us. I would continue with your elimination diet and see if it gets better now that you've stopped soy. If eliminating soy doesn't work I'd eliminate wheat next. Another option is to go ahead and do a top 8 elimination, where you stop eating the 8 most common allergens: dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts, treenutes, wheat, fish and shellfish.

Have you been careful about reading labels and looking for hidden sources of dairy? It can be kind of tricky to make sure you've really eliminated all dairy. Do a google search for hidden dairy and familiarize yourself with some of the other names for dairy proteins you might find in foods.

Allergy to breastmilk is extremely rare. It is highly unlikely this is your child's problem given the relative mildness of his symptoms. That's just an easy excuse for the doc. I would request a referral to a pediatric allergist and like a pp said, you might want to look into a new pediatrician if this one's first solution is to go straight to formula.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

with everything Paige said. It can be overwhelming to think about eliminating so many things, but if you can just say to yourself that you can have as much meat and veg and rice as you want, pure food, you should be fine. I was a lot happier changing my diet entirely than I was trying to find substitutions for the things I was accustomed to having. The substitutions just never were entirely satisfactory. Good luck! And hang in there.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Thanks everyone for the support. And thanks for the thread about blood in stools - it has awesome info! I have cut out all dairy (including hidden dairy) for almost 2 months now, so I think my son must be having a reaction to soy, eggs, or wheat. I will continue to cut out the soy and eggs to see if that helps, then eventually move on to wheat if I need to.

I actually like this dr - he's my 2nd pediatrician since the first one basically told me I was crazy - so it surprised me that he was so quick to switch to formula. Also, is alimentum even the best option for a baby with so many possible allergies? I would have thought one of the more expensive formulas that you get at the pharmacy would be needed. So, who knows how familiar he is with issues like this. I'll wait till the results of the stool sample come in then I'll ask for a referral to an allergist. In the meantime, I think I'll keep nursing my little guy....

Sorry you and your little one have had such a rough time...My 11 1/2 mo dd struggled so much in the early days with green mucousy stools and diaper rash. She had a small amount of blood in her stool a couple of times. It definitely caused me constant stress because I just new she was allergic to something I was eating. I felt extreme guilt and frustration. I did my best to eliminate wheat and dairy from my diet. She did much better for awhile and then I ate a couple bites of cheese just to see what happened. The next day Phoebe started having green mucousy stools with a dot of blood in it. Needless to say, I was soooo upset. This continued for about 2 weeks then went away.

That being said, I now believe this was a virus and was not related to me eating cheese that night. It still might be possible that he had a virus (which usually lasts at least a couple weeks).

I do not believe babies are 'allergic' to breastmilk. Even if they have some struggles with allergies in the early days, breastmilk is still better than the alternative. I would add in some probiotics (good ones from a health food store); that seemed to REALLY help my dd. I also take digestive enzymes thinking that maybe if what I eat is better digested, maybe it will make my milk easier for her to digest. Just a few of my thoughts...hope it helps! Everything will get better:-)
    ~Sarah

Married to the love of my life, Jordan

SAHM to Caleb (4/14/08) nursed for 19 months.
    Phoebe Grace (4/20/10), and 20 mths and counting!
    with #3, due May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rydersmom View Post
    Also, is alimentum even the best option for a baby with so many possible allergies? I would have thought one of the more expensive formulas that you get at the pharmacy would be needed.
    Alimentum or Nutramigen is usually the first step. If he reacted to those the next step would the elemental formulas like Neocate and Elecare.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*caleb.momma View Post
    Even if they have some struggles with allergies in the early days, breastmilk is still better than the alternative.
    That's not always true. I believe it is true in this case, though.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous