Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping output OK?

Default Pumping output OK?

I'm pumping to try and increase my supply - well, officially I am, but I'm being rather half hearted about it, pumping maybe twice a day only! I just don't have the time to do more and we have gotten to the point now where we figure my supply is fine and his weight gain is fine, just slow.

Still, I have the pump for another week so I'm pumping when I get a chance to freeze for later. I'm just mostly curious if my pumping output is OK. I'm breastfeeding on demand throughout the day and night and when I do pump it is shortly after feeding him. I'm only pumping 1-2.5 ounces (total from both sides). I think that's probably respectable enough, and I'm not going to stress about it anyhow since it's not that important, but I'm just curious if it's considered a decent amount or not?

Thanks!

Oh, ds is 15 weeks if that matters.

Default Re: Pumping output OK?

It varies from woman to woman, but from what I can find and calculated, most women make about an ounce of milk per hour. That makes sense, as most BF babies take about 2 oz about every 2 hours, and the amount a baby takes goes up as frequency decreases.

Your production can't be measured that well based on pumping output, and it's influenced by how often your LO is nursing/how often you pump as well as diet, time of day, stress levels, etc. So what you make is right if your baby is satisfied and you are not overly engorged or having plugged ducts/other problems related to OS.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Pumping output OK?

Thanks!