Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Can I feed EBM that's tinged with a little blood from soreness?

  1. #1

    Default Can I feed EBM that's tinged with a little blood from soreness?

    Just wasn't sure. I'm having lots of pain and noticed nipple area has cuts and was bleeding today when I started pumping. Not a lot, but more than say two drops. So is this safe to feed DD?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    555

    Default Re: Can I feed EBM that's tinged with a little blood from soreness?

    All vampire jokes aside, I would say yes because if you happened to be nursing the session you started bleeding, you wouldn't even know she had drunk it.

    If it helps, I have done it (just a couple drops it was) because I can't pump a full supply as it is and can't throw out milk.

    Although I'm sure an "expert" in here can verify

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    21,117

    Default Re: Can I feed EBM that's tinged with a little blood from soreness?

    Yes, it is totally safe to feed your baby bloody milk. If the idea of giving your baby bloody EBM grosses you out, you can leave the bottle in the fridge for a few hours. The blood will settle to the bottom of the bottle, allowing you to pour off the clean milk on top.

    Can you tell us more about the pain and cracking you're experiencing? Is it new? How old is your baby?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

  4. #4

    Default Re: Can I feed EBM that's tinged with a little blood from soreness?

    [QUOTE=@llli*mommal;1117685]Yes, it is totally safe to feed your baby bloody milk. If the idea of giving your baby bloody EBM grosses you out, you can leave the bottle in the fridge for a few hours. The blood will settle to the bottom of the bottle, allowing you to pour off the clean milk on top.

    Can you tell us more about the pain and cracking you're experiencing? Is it new? How old is your baby?[/QUOTE

    Thanks. On both sides it's like small cracks (looks like thin papercut) on outside of both nipple areas. OMG does it hurt when she starts eating and when I start pumping too. After a few minutes the sharp pain goes away but still sore. DD is 12 weeks old. I've tried using the Lanolin ointment for a couple of days now, but can't say I notice any difference yet.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,467

    Default Re: Can I feed EBM that's tinged with a little blood from soreness?

    Usually cracked nipples are the result of a shallow or poor latch. In my experience they will get worse so work on getting baby to open wider and get a deeper latch, I had to compress the breast so baby could get enough in his mouth (nipple sandwich )

    Also watch out for thrush. Those cracks are susceptible to thrush fungus breeding.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

    Watch Your Language

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    3,092

    Default Re: Can I feed EBM that's tinged with a little blood from soreness?

    Agree to watch out for thrush, work on latch, and also watch out for mastitis. I ended up with an infection from open wounds on my nipples when DS was a couple of weeks old. I did nurse (and pump) while I had the cracks and he did spit up blood, but I was told several times by the advice nurses that it was perfectly safe.

    Hope you are able to get those cracks resolved soon! Have you been having trouble from early on or is this a new development?
    Karen

    Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    His name was Cornball Wallace...
    Posts
    318

    Default Re: Can I feed EBM that's tinged with a little blood from soreness?

    Try using nipple butter with calendula in it (Earth Mama Angel Baby Nipple Butter or Motherlove Nipple Butter are my 2 favourites) and apply them generously before pumping. The lubrication really helps make things more comfortable and prevents cracking. Also, make sure your pump setting isn't too high.
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

    Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    21,117

    Default Re: Can I feed EBM that's tinged with a little blood from soreness?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sleepymama View Post
    Thanks. On both sides it's like small cracks (looks like thin papercut) on outside of both nipple areas. OMG does it hurt when she starts eating and when I start pumping too. After a few minutes the sharp pain goes away but still sore. DD is 12 weeks old. I've tried using the Lanolin ointment for a couple of days now, but can't say I notice any difference yet.
    Have the cracks been present since the beginning, or are they new? The thin, papercut-type cracks you describe sound very thrushy to me. Cracks from a shallow latch tend to be located on the nipple, often on the tip or underside, and there's usually just one major crack per nip. Multiple small, radiating cracks is something I personally think of as a thrush issue.

    More things to look for:
    - sensations that can be described as itching or burning
    - redness/pinkness in the nipple area
    - white patches on your skin or in the baby's mouth
    - dry, flaking skin
    - yeast infection elsewhere on your body, yeast diaper rash in the baby
    Remember that thrush can present in a variety of ways and you don't have to have all of the above symptoms to have thrush.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

  9. #9

    Default Re: Can I feed EBM that's tinged with a little blood from soreness?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Have the cracks been present since the beginning, or are they new? The thin, papercut-type cracks you describe sound very thrushy to me. Cracks from a shallow latch tend to be located on the nipple, often on the tip or underside, and there's usually just one major crack per nip. Multiple small, radiating cracks is something I personally think of as a thrush issue.

    More things to look for:
    - sensations that can be described as itching or burning
    - redness/pinkness in the nipple area
    - white patches on your skin or in the baby's mouth
    - dry, flaking skin
    - yeast infection elsewhere on your body, yeast diaper rash in the baby
    Remember that thrush can present in a variety of ways and you don't have to have all of the above symptoms to have thrush.
    This is a new development. I have two cracks on each nipple. They are all located at the base of the nipple- one underside and one on top/side area. Nipple area is peeling some too- reminds me of a sunburn with small moist peeling skin pieces. Not flaky though. No itching or burning going on, no redness in that area and no yeast infections elsewhere for me or DD.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    21,117

    Default Re: Can I feed EBM that's tinged with a little blood from soreness?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sleepymama View Post
    This is a new development. I have two cracks on each nipple. They are all located at the base of the nipple- one underside and one on top/side area. Nipple area is peeling some too- reminds me of a sunburn with small moist peeling skin pieces. Not flaky though. No itching or burning going on, no redness in that area and no yeast infections elsewhere for me or DD.
    This is sounding more and more thrushy to me. If the cracks came from a latch problem, they probably would have been there from early on. (Remind me how old your LO is?) And there would probably only be 1 crack per nipple- when cracks are a result of a latch issue, they generally occur in one place, where the baby's tongue puts the most pressure. Also, peeling skin- it's one end of the "flaking" spectrum.

    I'd talk to your midwife or ob about the possibility of a thrush or bacterial infection.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •