Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple shields for relatching?

Default Nipple shields for relatching?

I got talked out of breastfeeding by some bad medical advice (see my introduction post) when my son was born and then relactated...I am 100% EBM feeding my 5 month old boy now. I am so glad to be giving him nothing but the good stuff but I feel so cheated that I couldn't breastfeed him I feel like I got robbed of the most meaningful bonding experience I could have with my son. I want to relatch so bad but I don't know how. I've tried lots of skin to skin time, had help with positioning ect. Do nipple shields work? I want it so much I cry all the time...is it possible...any advice would be very appreciated, thank you Mommies <3
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Default Re: Nipple shields for relatching?

We used a nipple shield for the first 6 weeks or so ( apparently I have short nips). Although we don't need the shield anymore, DD is 4 mo now, I can't get her to nurse long enough to empty a breast AND we've been struggling with low supply from the get-go. Also, if you decide to use one, eventually you'll need to wean LO off it. Good luck to you.

I think it would be worth a try! I used a nipple shield with DD1 for the first 6 months. It never affected my supply. Good luck and let us know if you have any luck with using one.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

The nipple shield was the ONLY way my DD would latch and feed! She would just scream and holler if I tried bare breast when she was a newborn, then, one day I tried to wean her off of it (she was around 3 mo.) and she took bare breast and never looked back! So it's definitely worth u trying it!! Keep us posted!! Oh and make sure u get one that fits properly!

with pp. It can't hurt and shields are supposed to help when LO will take a bottle.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I would offer both though- which is easy enough as the darn things fall off pretty easily. Before Connor stopped latching consistently we always used the shield. Since then, when he has latched on it has been to the bare breast. So you never know with them! I would recommend the medium one because the small ones are pretty small. I wish they had larger ones. I have small breasts but large nipples. . .

Good luck

go for the shield. it waas the only way we could get an BFing going. then i just sto[pped using it and we got semi-perfect Bfing
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing