Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 hour class/pumping?

Default 4 hour class/pumping?

I'm having a dilemma and don't know what to do, so I'm reaching out for some advice!
    My DS is 3 months today and I've been teaching 3 classes a week that has me away from him for 2-2.5 hours each time, totally doable, been handling it fine with a little BM for hubby to give him if he needs.
    I could do a double one night and teach 2 classes back to back which puts me gone 4 hours from DS...on one hand I'd rather do this than be away another night (I'll eventually be tacking more onto my schedule for the $$), but I'm not sure how the pumping goes...
    question...
    I don't of course want to screw up my supply, being away 4 hours does that mean I'll need to pump during that time? That would not be an option...
    I know I could pump to leave him with more milk...just confused about my boobies.
    HELP! I'm having trouble making this decision. I could wait to do this, but b/c of $$ it makes it hard...
    THANK YOU!
    Momma to Gordie Oshkay born 1/6/11.
    He's a love monkey who loves & eats big!
    We EBF, cloth diaper, and do lots of baby wearing as he loves being close to momma!

Default Re: 4 hour class/pumping?

They say not to go longer that 4-5 hours without emptying your breasts, including at night.

I'd say if you can't take a break to pump right before and right after. But since you are teaching the class, surely you can do a 15 min break in the middle? Then everyone would get a chance to stretch their legs.

Also 3 minutes pumping is waaay more than 0 minutes. So even if it's a quick trip "to the bathroom" to remove some breastmilk it helps.

Good luck!

Can you pump right before you leave from the class? The only thing I would be worried about is engorgement.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Can you pump right before you leave from the class? The only thing I would be worried about is engorgement.
    Or leaking all over myself in front of a classroom! I think if your supply is well established, you should be able to go 4 hours once a week at 3 months without seriously impacting your supply. But this would have been uncomfortable for me at that stage in the game.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I often go 4-5 hours without pumping simply because my class schedule doesn't allow me to pump more often. What I do is pump while driving with a handsfree set up (just a tank with a built in bra with holes cut in the boobs) and then right after (unless you would be home right away to feed LO) So far it has worked for me! good luck!
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

thanks ladies, i appreciate it!
    I could feed him until I leave then right when i get home...
    talked to DH tonight and even worked it that my LO can be with me for the first class (it's yoga) then he can take him home...this wouldn't be every time, ug, still working it out...
    does it get better or easier i should say as the babies get older??? the empting of the breasts?
    Momma to Gordie Oshkay born 1/6/11.
    He's a love monkey who loves & eats big!
    We EBF, cloth diaper, and do lots of baby wearing as he loves being close to momma!

Yes. As they get older and start eating solids, you'll have less issues with engorgement.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Yes. As they get older and start eating solids, you'll have less issues with engorgement.
    For me the engorgement improved a lot between three and six months, even before Joe started eating solids.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.