Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A new working mom's Question: Looking for responses for New Beginnings Magazine

Default A new working mom's Question: Looking for responses for New Beginnings Magazine

Hi, Moms - Winema here again, looking for responses in the next few days to publish in New Beginnings "Making it Work" column. You can answer here or send me a private message. By the way, the responses I've gotten since I began posting here have been so great and I even included a blurb about the forum in the last column bc you've all been so helpful! Thank you!

Here is the new Mom's question:

“My son is 14 months old (still actively nursing) and I have enjoyed being a stay-at-home mom to him, but my husband has recently been laid off from his job and it is clear that our best option is for me to return to my previous job as soon as possible. I’m so glad that I have this option, of course, but I don’t know much about nursing and working, so I’d love to hear what I should be prepared for with a toddler, and also, I’m going to have to be away to host training weekends once per month. How do I handle being away from my son for 2 nights and 3 full days? I really want to continue nursing!”

Default Re: A new working mom's Question: Looking for responses for New Beginnings Magazine

At 14 months your milk supply is well established. My opinion is that your issues will be more mental, meaning being sad about being away, than physical. You should be able to nurse when you and your toddler are together and not have to pump to maintain supply. Does your little one drink cows milk? During the week day they can have cows milk or water while away from you or if they don't want that, as long as you nurse 3-4 times a day while together your son should be getting enough liquids. When away overnight you may want to carry a hand pump or hand express a little milk if you end up uncomfortable.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Default Re: A new working mom's Question: Looking for responses for New Beginnings Magazine

At 14 months old, my daughter was nursing around the clock but I was able to quit pumping at work. She had plenty of milk when I arrived home and she was eager to nurse. Take a pump with you if you are uncomfortable and perhaps just pump at lunch for the first few weeks. Eventually your supply will regulate and should not be too uncomfortable. As for the long weekends, take your pump with you and plan to pump at least a couple of times or as needed for comfort. I would really hesitate going a full 24 hours without milk removal (nursing or pumping) if he's nursing often still. You don't want to risk a plugged duct or mastitis.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thanks, moms - any more feedback out there? Your replies help LLL's New Beginnings magazine help moms! We need you!