Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: going back to work next week...

Default going back to work next week...

With my first child, I exclusively breastfed and that wasn't a problem, because I was never away from him. However, with my second and now 3 month DD, I have to go back to work next week. I have been trying to get into a pumping schedule and DD will take a bottle. I have left her with my Mother-in-Law for part of the day a few times after pumping. From those times it seems that she needs 4 oz every three hours, which makes 32 ounces a day. Does that sound about right? Well, that is a huge problem, because I can only pump about 2 ounces out of each breast at a time maximum. I try to pump after I feed her, but nothing comes out. I can't even get a let down. THe only thing that seems to work, is letting her feed off of one breast for a long time, and then pump the other side...but still...only two ounces. I'm not sure what to do. On top of that, I am gong to be working a new job, so I am not sure what kind of breaks I am going to get. The only thing I know for sure is that I have to be there by 7:00am, and I get a 30 minute at 10:30am. Don't know if I will get another break where I am allowed to actually leave the room until 3:00pm. Any suggestions, I'm freaking out??

Default Re: going back to work next week...

Oh, and anybody know about 'Mothers milk'....should I take that? Is there any reason not to try it?

When you're away from your baby you will likely get that 4 ounces because it will be both breasts that you're pumping. Are you in the US? The new healthcare law that was passed provides protection for you for pumping. Have you talked to your new employer about your need to pump?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Have you talked to your new employer about your need to pump?
    Couldn't hurt to ask up front; may help relieve some of your stress about it.

What kind of pump do you have?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos