Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do if the levels are off??

Default Re: What to do if the levels are off??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*samuelsmom View Post
    WE are doing FRANKEN MILK Breastmilk "fortified with formula" because Sam isnt gaining weight like he should. in 9 days he only gained 4.1 oz. So the Dr has told me to try half a teaspoon of powdered formula to 1 oz of breastmilk to fatten him up so that he gets a curve and stays on it. hes only .95 percentile. Less than one percent
    Mama, it sounds like you are working very hard to increase your supply! I also agree that the amount of milk your LO is taking per feeding seems like a LOT. Even when my son was 10-11-12 months old and drinking EBM at daycare, he never took more than 4 ounces at one time. I would also agree with putting less in his bottles, make sure you are using a SLOW flow nipple, and see if he can be satisfied with a little less milk. 16 ounces for the time period you are away from him is a LOT of milk for a young baby. Does he take a pacifier? Maybe he just has a really high sucking need and finds it is satisfied by sucking on the bottle??

And regarding the bolded above... I just want to confirm that you are mixing that 1 teaspoon of formula with water before you are mixing it with breastmilk, right? Because if you use formula in a more concentrated/non-watered down form that it can potentially cause problems for your baby, I think even dehydration can occur, but I'm not positive.

IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

NO the dr said to mix 1/2 teaspoon not 1 whole teaspoon into an oz of breastmilk.

They are trying to fatten the baby up because he is so "small" though he seems great but hes in the less than one percentile and all that. And he keeps going further down on the growth chart. from 40th to .95

This is just to give him more calories. As for him having so much "they say he seems satisfied" My husband and all. And I have heard from quite a few people that their babies took alot. He used to do less but him being on the small side I will feed him what ever just so he doesnt get bad off.

Thanks Ladies. He is meeting all of his milestones and is happy and looks great.ITs jsut that damned chart they have..LOL

He is growing in height and head circumference. For example he is 5 1/2 months old. 24 anda quarter long and only weights 12 lbs 7.2 oz This is only 4.1 ox in 9 days, so they are concerned because that isnt even half an ounce a day...And you know the little tyke had a great diaper for his father today because of the mixing I bet, and he has gone almost 4 hours inbetween bottles usually its 3 This concernes me because if he doesnt take that other bottle untill 4 i get home at 5 i guess i can pump a few times inbetween but ???

If he is doing fine, he is fine. Some kids are just small. I had a 15 lb one year old. And she ended up having a delayed bone age (which is fine!) and was gH deficient, which she is treated for. Perhaps they should be looking at other reasons for the small stature. Like insulin growth factor levels, or GI issues, instead of blaming your milk etc. And if by chance he has reflux, that can also cause less weight gain in some babies. It did with my third.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*SamuelsMom View Post
    NO the dr said to mix 1/2 teaspoon not 1 whole teaspoon into an oz of breastmilk.

They are trying to fatten the baby up because he is so "small" though he seems great but hes in the less than one percentile and all that. And he keeps going further down on the growth chart. from 40th to .95

This is just to give him more calories. As for him having so much "they say he seems satisfied" My husband and all. And I have heard from quite a few people that their babies took alot. He used to do less but him being on the small side I will feed him what ever just so he doesnt get bad off.

Thanks Ladies. He is meeting all of his milestones and is happy and looks great.ITs jsut that damned chart they have..LOL

He is growing in height and head circumference. For example he is 5 1/2 months old. 24 anda quarter long and only weights 12 lbs 7.2 oz This is only 4.1 ox in 9 days, so they are concerned because that isnt even half an ounce a day...And you know the little tyke had a great diaper for his father today because of the mixing I bet, and he has gone almost 4 hours inbetween bottles usually its 3 This concernes me because if he doesnt take that other bottle untill 4 i get home at 5 i guess i can pump a few times inbetween but ???
    If you are supplementing with formula, that is going to cause your baby to go longer in between bottles... formula takes a LOT longer to digest, and sits in their tummies, causing them to not be hungry as often. I would venture to guess that is why your LO is going longer between bottles.

And as for mixing the concentrated formula with breastmilk... your doc may be giving you bad/outdated advice. It is really hard on a baby's tummy and immature kidneys to digest unmixed formula. I would strongly urge you to re-consider mixing the concentrated powder directly into the breastmilk, and talk to your doctor about other ways to help your baby gain weight. There are also "breastmilk fortifiers" out there that are acceptable to add directly to the breastmilk to help a baby gain weight, but adding unmixed formula powder to breastmilk is not advised.

And I agree with Beth... if he is wetting diapers, meeting milestones, etc. then he is fine! And you have said "he only gained 4 ounces in 9 days" but he's still gaining! It's not like he's completely stalled out and not gaining at all. In that case, there might be more cause for concern. But the fact is, he is GAINING! Sure, he might not be gaining as fast as the docs would like, but every kid grows on their own curve, and some just don't gain as fast as others.

Not to be nosy, but are you or the baby's father small statured? If you or your DH have a small body type, then you can expect that your LO will also have a similar body type and likely won't gain as fast as other kids his age.

IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Mama. Dealing with low milk supply is so rough. Hang in there. You're doing a great job!

We went thru a similar situation. DS was eating way more than I could pump. We were giving him big bottles spaced out and he seemed satisfied. I found this link on kellymom.com (great resources if you haven't seen it yet). The key point is babies only needed 1-1.5 oz of breast milk per hour. So if baby goes 3 hrs, that is 3-4.5 oz. I had a hard time believing it, but we gave it a try. It worked! DS was just as satisfied with less milk more frequently and my supply was then able to keep up with him. You can always add more milk to the bottle if he is still hungry.

Have you looked into herbal supplements like mother's milk tea or fenugreek?

It sounds like your big concern is baby not gaining enough. Breastfed babies don't grow at the same rate formula fed babies grow. This page has good info on breastfed babies' weight gain. Sounds to me like 4 oz a week a pretty good! You mentioned your LO started off in the 45 percentile? Often, if you had a lot of fluids IV during labor/delivery, it can falsely elevate your baby's weight. After a couple days, baby looses the water weight and appears to have "lost a lot."

And as for mixing the concentrated formula with breastmilk... your doc may be giving you bad/outdated advice
    It can be quite dangerous to give powdered formula diluted in anything but water. There are too many electrolytes and can cause serious problems. I personally wouldn't do it without a second opinion.

Good luck
    Mama to
    - born at home on 4/27/10

- born at home 8/30/2012

Have you heard of a supplement called Go-Lacta? I used it at the suggestion of my midwife and it works well. Just google it and you can buy it from their website. She seems to be the only one who has heard of it but it might be worth a try. I'm weaning off it now but when I go back to work and have to pump I'll start taking it again if I need to. It's not cheap because you're supposed to take 2-3 capsules 3 times daily, I think. I believe it's $19.99 per bottle.