Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do if the levels are off??

Default What to do if the levels are off??

So I talked with the lady from the drs office yesterday. "they started me on reglan to see if there would be any diff." well they now want me to start weening off of the reglan.

Well What if the reglan did make a differeance? what do I do. Right now Im getting between 7-8 oz at work. 3 pumps worth. What if i can only get 6 or 5??

How do you fix these levels. Im going to the dr to talk about thyroid "we dont have a family history but its worth the lookinto and to see about my newfound anxiety "I dont want to go to work . I know I know. But its gotten to where before I go i feel really sick.

Anywho. What do I do if these levels are off. Generrally I try and pump every other hour at night. And Sams still waking up every two. So its like at 11 I pump, at 12 sam wakes up we "sleepnurse" at 1 I pump. and I generally only miss a pump if he has been attached or wakes up himself to eat before I can get the pump going.

I get about 2 oz every 2 hours?? but today its been 2 oz and its been 3 hours. Im trying for 20 0r more mins a pump session and samuel eats every 2 hours. Im taking "goats rue as of last night. im tkaing fenugreek blessed thistle and brewers yeast all for pump out put,,,i will have my more milk pluz when i get home hopefully it cam in the mail???what should I do ???
    Plz help

Default Re: What to do if the levels are off??

Are you pumping through one letdown or two letdowns?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Are you pumping through one letdown or two letdowns?
    As I was typing that I did have second let down after the post. But I didnt quite make 3 oz and Now I only have 4.5 oz. that isnt even one bottle.

My little man takes 1-6oz bottle for breakfast, 1 5 or 5.5 oz bottle for lunch and a 5 oz bottle before momma gets home.

I know it seems like alot but hes taking it down and so I have to work for at least 16 oz of milk. Next week I wont beable to do this one day because I might have to work 4 days in the week. Not my general everyother day. monday wednesday and fridays off tues thurs and weekend.

But we have something coming up on tues that my boss wants me in. So i Dont know if they are gunna let me switch and take of that wednesday or not.

I just informed them that I wont be returning to work like we had talked about before but was gunna stick with the 3 days.

UGH SORRY I have alot going on and it freakes me out that he might have to have formula, though as long as he eats ill be happy thta he is growing and healthy.

But most days I only get about 7-8 oz. What if after I am weaned from the reglan we see it did give me that extra boost of 1 oz..THEN WHAT I dont think There is anything else I can do to boost my supply. I think Im at the end of what to do..

I will continue to do the pumping at night and whenever I can when I am at home with Sam "he eats every two hour so its hard to sneake away in the day to pump especially with stuff I have to do." I no longer clean the house or anythign really... dh has been doing most all that. But i sitll have my uncle to look after when hes in and keep him company, I dont want him to feel as if I dont care because Im never around Im always pumping

I might add that since Samuels on the "small side" weighted in at 12 3.1 and we go again tomorrow, Everything scares me. I dont want them to tell me that I have to supplement him. I havnt but the 2 oz that frist day. a joke he played with the bottle till it was gone.

But I dont want the drs office to mark down that he is to small and Im not doing the right things and have cps come in and take him or anything..I have alot of fears these days and to much stress. Im going about ppd or thyroid or what ever I can figure out. SO ANY HELP WILL HELP ME> THANKS

And I was just imformed that I DO HAVE TO WORK those 4 days. That we are busy on the following day of hte event and I am needed. aHE was right pissed at me for even asking about it. HE also told me there are going to be days that when he cant be here that Imma have to come in.

I dont know why it stresses me so much about working right now. It seems so unreal to me that Im crying in the office feeling like if just had some major issue because of this. I think i really need to get straight. Im pretty fine the rest of the time. We dont have the money for me to be a sahm because dh is disable and my uncle is old and disabled as well. Though dh can do alot he is getting over some of his own issues with anxiety and and taking a great leap forward where else im bounding backwards.. " and as im typing this my boss is trying to fix the attitude he just gave me.

IF some one has tips about drugs and breastfeeding let me know. I may need nerve pills or somthing for ppd "though 5 months after baby? thogough ive had some stuff goin on before but then again my mother passed away unexpectedly and I had to come back to work also.
    ?? I dont know. WE have had alot going on..Any suggestions would really help.
    Last edited by @llli*samuelsmom; April 6th, 2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: fixes

I may have missed this but how old is the baby? 6oz. At one feeding does seem like a lot. Have you thought of making the feedings smaller, but more frequent?

I always used 4oz bottles when I was working and I would put 3-4oz per bottle.

And from what I know PPD can pop up anytime within the first year. If you think you might have it you should talk to your health care provider. They can better judge if medication and/or counseling will benefit you. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot.

Also, I don't know what kind of pump you have but have you considered renting a hospital grade? I could pump so much more with the good pump than my regular pump. Maybe there is an LC in your area that can hook you up with one if you can't rent one.
    Last edited by @llli*jezebel; April 6th, 2011 at 01:56 PM.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

samuelsmom - you keep mentioning this in your posts and I want to understand why...

Why are you afraid of CPS taking your baby away from you? Did your pediatrician threaten that? You seem so worried about it and I don't want you to be. I can't imagine that they would do that.

Have you contacted your OB for a recommendation for PPD therapy? Or asked them for a recommendation for medication? It does sound like you are having a really tough time right now.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I used reglan for about 3 weeks and it did bump up my supply and it did shrink agian when I quit the prescription. You sound like you have alot of anxiety right now and reglan is known to cause depression. IMHO, getting off the reglan and saving yourself from more serious depression is more beneficial to your little one than those couple extra ounces of milk it's helping you make.

Also, according to kellymom.com, only pumping a couple oz every couple of hours is perfectly normal. I had to go back to work when DD was 2 months old and have really been struggling with supply. I'm able to pump about 8-10 oz during my work day (that's four sessions between 6am and 3 pm). My DD eats so much that the majority of her food is formula and we supplement with breast milk, not that I'm by anymeans saying thats what you should do-just that's what works for my family. I wish it were the other way around but she's just so hungry!

Anways...You should be proud of yourself for all that you've been able to do and for the perseverence to keep at it
    Last edited by @llli*jessepoppins; April 6th, 2011 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks Ladies. and Sorry. NO I talked with a girl who the drs office did threaten her with this. And Idont want anyone to think that I cant take care of or am not doing a good job for my son. Because sometimes i myself feel bad that I can not provide him with what he needs.

And as for the reglan Its been since wednesday that I have only taken two pills "first phaze of weaning" and Today I did get 1 oz at this first pump session at work . But that might have been because I had to replace a part?? Dont know. Hopefully I get at least 3 oz in the next two pumps or at least at leats 2.

WE are doing FRANKEN MILK Breastmilk "fortified with formula" because Sam isnt gaining weight like he should. in 9 days he only gained 4.1 oz. So the Dr has told me to try half a teaspoon of powdered formula to 1 oz of breastmilk to fatten him up so that he gets a curve and stays on it. hes only .95 percentile. Less than one percent

Thanks I do believe that is what I am going to have to do if nothing helps me with keeping up the supply. I will have to Supplement one way or another. HE has started sleeping about 2.5 hours at night now. I noticed this last night. So maybe I can take advantage of this time if he does go 3 hours or so and pump extra.

I generally get about 3 oz of milk at night i pump every other hour. Because he eats every two hours "or he did" So it was keeping my body going every hour with pump and then with him nursing. This did not affect me at all really. I love having him close at night and when he sleeps and he laughs it makes all of everything worth anything. LOL

At least next week my boss just told me that I wont have to work the following day. So it willl have off...THanks LADIES ITS THE LITTLE THINGS>

ALso About the reglan, yes I want to get off of it because my nerves are already under aload. But did it hit your previouse supply when you went off. Before I was getting about 4-6 or so then Now I get about 7 sometimes 8 oz. But the day I started the reglan I also started with a hospital grade pump that I rented and all.

Now today I just get 1 oz at my first pump?? Even before it was close to 2 if not 2. But this is just on the 1 oz mark.

Do you have a hands free set-up? Like a bra or pumping pals or something? I always am able to pump more if I'm relaxed reading a book or watching a show. Or even reading e-mail if I was at work. The time goes by faster and I'm not so focused on how many oz. are in the bottle.

And I wouldn't worry about CPS. Their absolute LAST resort is to separate a baby from its mom.

And don't feel bad about having to supplement! First rule is to feed that baby!
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jezebel View Post
    Do you have a hands free set-up? Like a bra or pumping pals or something? I always am able to pump more if I'm relaxed reading a book or watching a show. Or even reading e-mail if I was at work. The time goes by faster and I'm not so focused on how many oz. are in the bottle.

And I wouldn't worry about CPS. Their absolute LAST resort is to separate a baby from its mom.

And don't feel bad about having to supplement! First rule is to feed that baby!
    Thank you so much.

Yeah WE have converted at sports bra into a handsfree. and im using a hospital grade lactina pump. Maybe it was my nervese again this morning ??? and I only got one let down..hmm does it ever start to be where it takes longer to get the same amount outta the pump?? Cuz if so I might be screwed here at work im always stealing a few minutes as it is to pump.