Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SO DESPERATE!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Default Re: SO DESPERATE!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Do you have to stay? Will they have a pump you can use every three hours?

Check out that third link above. There will be a link to anti-depressants that people can use safely while breastfeeding.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I have a Medela pump...I am going to use it.

Ok. Hang in there mama. I'm glad you are getting help. I'm so sorry you are going through this.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks all. I'm praying to continue nursing!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xxindependentxx View Post

I hope everything goes well. Keep us posted!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. I went through something similar, though it ended a little earlier due to necessary measures. DS was having issues feeding. We were feeding him at least every 2 hours - the routine was feed/change (usually try breast, then finish with EBM), pump and then sleep - needless to say, there wasn't much sleep. It got a little better once he started eating a little less frequently (2-3 hrs), and was getting better at BF, several weeks of little-no sleep had taken their toll - my anxiety levels skyrocketed, and I got angrier than I should have been (and would feel very guilty about it to boot).

With extreme sleep deprivation, I felt like I was going crazy. I expressed concerns that I thought I was getting to be PPD, and at about 5 weeks, my DH ended up stepping in, as did our midwife. We don't have family in the area, and DH has to work, so I was told in order to keep caring for our DS, I needed to care for myself. MW said that, even though it likely isn't her place to say so, I needed to do what it took to make sure that I am well in addition to our DS. What it took for us was a pump before bed, and an EBM or formula feed or two done in the middle of the night by someone else so that I could sleep through (hubby was gracious enough to do so). It also meant that DS was in his own room sooner than I'd hoped, so that I could sleep a little better (sometimes, it was just me in the bed).

It ended up that sleep did a world of good - I was just severely sleep-deprived, and not PPD. Sure, I originally felt a lot of guilt, and comments from some others didn't help (it can be hard for people to understand if they haven't been there, and sometimes well-intentioned support doesn't come across as such, especiallly when you're feeling the way that you are), but I feel like I did what was necessary for my family. My DS was still a happy, healthy baby, who was EBF and got lots of cuddles throughout the day, and I was doing much better and enjoying DS more (they aren't so little for very long!). He is now up less often during the night (once or twice), I have built some sleep-reserves back up, and after a couple of months, I am now back to EBF with him, day and night (mind you we proceeded with caution, and on odd nights, DH still will cover a feeding with EBM to let me sleep).

I'm sending you much love. Do make sure that you get checked for PPD, but also realize that sleep may be mostly what you need. I hope that you rally the troops and do what you need to do for your family - talk to people who have been there, don't feel guilty, and don't worry about what others think!
    Last edited by @llli*sallycanuck; April 7th, 2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added info

I'll say a little prayer as well. You're doing the best that you can, and it's all that you can do - remember, if you end up having to supplement a little to get over the hump, it's likely only a very temporary thing - it doesn't mean that you're any less of a mommy!

I have a Medela pump...I am going to use it.
    I rented a heavy-duty Medela double electric pump (Symphony) from a local pharmacy, as per MW suggestion. It's the kind that they use in hospitals, and it made a world of difference - it was affordable, much faster than fiddling with my Medela Swing, and reduced the number of times that we had to supplement with ABM. If you need to pump regularly, I recommend it, if that's not what you're already using.

It was a short-term sanity-saver, and I'm back to the Swing now.
    Last edited by @llli*sallycanuck; April 7th, 2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added info

I am going to a 72 hour clinic tonight.

Also, my baby is not a good nurser, he pulls on and off constantly, he is a constant battle. I think the reason I haven't gotten much sleep. It seems like it may be sleep deprivation. From what I remember, I was fine when I had sleep. I'm just so upset by the possibility of having to quit. I know I need help desperately right now.

Another one of my problems...when I lay down to sleep (exhausted as I am) I can not shut my mind off. So if I do get to lay down, I may lay there for over an hour and not be able to sleep. So that hinders things too. I just know I will be even more depressed if I have to quit nursing. I'm having such an emotional battle right now.

Mama, I'm so glad you're going to get help. Don't worry about the breastfeeding thing right now, except to bring a pump so you don't get engorged/uncomfortable. There's time for breastfeeding to work out. And we'll help you every step of the way if it's a struggle for you. But right now you take care of you.

Let us know how things go.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"