Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can my baby get sick?

Default Can my baby get sick?

I have a sore, swollen throat. At first I thought I was just having sinus problems, but it seems to be mostly throat problems now. I don't know yet if I'm getting sick, but I'm really afraid my baby will too. I know that continuing to BF is the best thing to do, but what do I do if she does get sick? A swollen throat doesn't sound like a very safe thing for a 7-week-old to have.

Should I call the ped now, wait for her appointment in 9 days, or just worry about it if/when she gets sick?

Default Re: Can my baby get sick?

Sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather. This is the season for it- my DD and DH and I have all had two colds apiece already this year! My advice is not to stop breastfeeding, even if you're feeling sick. By the time you start feeling sick, your baby has already long since been exposed to the bug- be it a bacterium or virus- that's getting you down. Sorry! If you stop breastfeeding, your baby misses out on the antibodies that your body is making to the pathogen, which are being expressed with the milk. Just think of it this way: every time you breastfeed, especially when you're sick, you're slipping your LO some baby-style chicken soup. Feel better!

I was having and still am having occasionally a sore throat much like you described. Checked to see if it was strept but wasn't. If you're concerned if she will get it from BF, then no. And the other post is correct about the antibodies, etc.. I guess if you're really concerned then try not to kiss her, etc. too much, especially when you feel really sick. And watch out for symptoms from her.

Thanks for the replies! I will continue to BF even if we do both get sick, but I guess I'm worried about how dangerous it is for a LO this young to get sick?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I will continue to BF even if we do both get sick, but I guess I'm worried about how dangerous it is for a LO this young to get sick?
    It really depends on the child at that age and if there are any other risk factors (ie: heart problems, lung problems, etc...). The more combo the problems the worse it can be. As long as baby is acting normal, I wouldn't rush to the pedi's just yet. If your LO starts acting like it throat hurts or has problems swallowing, that's when the pedi needs to be called. BTW, have you been to the doctor to see what it is? It may be nothing more than sinus drainage going down your throat, or it could be a virus/infection. The PP is correct, by the time you started to feel down, baby would have already been exposed to it. The great thing about BM is that if you are sick, it'll up the antibodies that go to baby also!!! Hope you start feeling better soon.
    My DD and I both have a nice sinus infection right now, we had a cold snap that came through last week and it's kicked both of our butts.