Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft sillicone shields

Default Soft sillicone shields

Which companies make soft silicone breast shields/breast pumps that are compatable with them? I'm always interested in trying new things. I currently use either Ameda lactaline with their flexishield or the softfit with Medela Swing. I do quite well with them but again always curious to see if there's anything better. I know Avent makes one as well but are there any others? How would you rate them? I can't use the hard shields, the hard angles feel absolutely atrocious to me.
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Default Re: Soft sillicone shields

I've used these Medela ones they are ok, not great

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-27s-Sof.../dp/B000A88JZ0
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

playtex's shilds are soft rubber inside hard plastic shell. they somewhat mimic the motion of suckling snd are "clinicy proven to stimulate prolactin"
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sailoryue View Post
    playtex's shilds are soft rubber inside hard plastic shell. they somewhat mimic the motion of suckling snd are "clinicy proven to stimulate prolactin"
    Hmm...! What do you think of them/their pump? Does it work well?

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997

It works decently. NOf painful, but it only has 3 settings.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Do the softer shields yeild more milk output? I have a medela PIS and currently use the hard sheilds because that's what it came with and I'm pretty cheap.

i feel i got a little more from my playtex than what the hospital rental pump gave me. sure the hospital can be harder faster stronger, but thats not always the best. the playtext shells more like massage your reasts more like hand-expressing whereas the harder shells are pull and suck

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessepoppins View Post
    Do the softer shields yeild more milk output? I have a medela PIS and currently use the hard sheilds because that's what it came with and I'm pretty cheap.
    Not for me. I have a PIS too and have used both, same results.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessepoppins View Post
    I LOVE the SoftFit shields that Medela makes, I use it with mine and I get SO much more milk personally (this is coming from an EBM feeder who pumps out an average of 4-5 oz every 2 hours), I think it is because my nipple neither feels constricted nor like my breast is being yanked in...I wouldn't recommend them if you have VERY big nipples or VERY small nipples but I would say that size matters a LOT less when you are using a soft shield than it does when you are using a hard one.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sailoryue View Post
    i feel i got a little more from my playtex than what the hospital rental pump gave me. sure the hospital can be harder faster stronger, but thats not always the best. the playtext shells more like massage your reasts more like hand-expressing whereas the harder shells are pull and suck
    Really...! How strange that the hospital one just has more "oomph" to it. I would have guessed there would be more to it than that. You know what, I use the second to lowest (out of like, 12 levels? something like that) suction level when I'm pumping and that yields the best results for me. When you up the power it just makes it uncomfortable (in my opinion) and when it's comfortable it feels relieving instead of painful and so makes me want to do it more, and the more you do it the more milk you make. If you're only doing it once in a great while I guess the situation might be different but if you're EPing then comfort is absolutely essential IMO.