Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to introduce tree nuts

Default When to introduce tree nuts

Our doctor told us to wait until DD is two to introduce peanuts. I didn't think to ask at the time, but would you think this is just peanuts or all nuts? I'm hearing a lot of different things about what the appropriate age is for peanuts, too.

Default Re: When to introduce tree nuts

Do you have a family history of peanut allergies? Peanuts are actually legumes, not nuts, and people tend to react differently to peanuts than to tree nuts. What about specific nut allergies in your family? I've heard to wait until one year of age as peanuts are such a common allergen, but to wait until two if there is no documented family allergy to peanuts seems a bit long. I know that pediatricians are getting more and more careful with peanuts though, given the high rate of childhood peanut allergies or sensitivities. If your physician thought that your child was at a high risk for an allergy, I could understand the precaution.

We have no allergies or known sensitivities to nuts here, and our pediatrician told us to go ahead after 8 months or so with peanuts or other nuts. I keep hearing different things... It's so confusing trying to gauge when it's safe to introduce [insert food here]! I'm tending to go on gut feeling as there is documentation going every which way!
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

I've intro'd all the "nuts", including pea-nuts, at 1. But we have no family history of allergies.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

We have no family history of allergies. Maybe the doctor is just afraid to recommend otherwise. Our daughter's cardiologist even told us that they aren't really recommending waiting anymore. He said that in countries where they are introduced earlier there is less incidence of allergies. That makes sense, I guess. I wonder who decides what to tell patients about this, or if it is just up to the doctor.

**I am not an expert** But, I believe newer research is leaning toward NOT waiting to introduce allergens...that waiting may actually increase risk of allergy. I waited until 18MO to introduce peanut butter and other nuts with DD1, and only until a year with DD2.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    **I am not an expert** But, I believe newer research is leaning toward NOT waiting to introduce allergens...that waiting may actually increase risk of allergy. I waited until 18MO to introduce peanut butter and other nuts with DD1, and only until a year with DD2.
    Jeanne - That is correct :
    in 2008, they changed their stance. Dr. Frank Greer, MD, Chairperson of the AAP’s Committee on Nutrition was quoted as saying: “[Waiting] makes absolutely no difference. For instance, if you are going to have peanut allergy, it has nothing to do with when you were introduced to peanuts. If a mother eats peanuts during pregnancy or lactation or if she feeds her 6-month old peanut butter, it has no effect on whether you get peanut allergy. If you are going to get it, you’re going to get it.” That said, most pediatricians (myself included) do not recommend peanuts and tree nuts in the first year or two of solid food eating, especially if there is a family history of allergy. Symptoms of allergy can range—including mild stomach upset, rash (anything from splotchy to hives), swollen lips, coughing, even vomiting. The Food, Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network website (www.foodallergy.org) has terrific guidelines for parents about what allergic reactions look like and when you need to worry.

I heard some docs still recommend waiting is so if you child is having a reaction it would be more obvious when the are a little bit older since they can communicate that something is not right.
    Last edited by @llli*lorders; April 5th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies

Does vomiting alone indicate an allergy? We supplemented with soy formula twice, and both times she got sick. The doctor said that it didn't mean she had an allergy.

My husband has a severe nut allergy so we've been told to wait 2 years. Even then I don't want to try introducing nuts or peanuts until she has had an allergy test. I'm BFing right now and have been told not to eat either. It's a bit of a pain.